PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Recently I bought a two-tier wall-hanging pipe stand that has doors on the bottom and a drawer in the middle. Inside the drawers and included in the sale I found a bunch of odds and ends, the most interesting of which is an old pouch of SWR Aromatic with a blue "thermo sealed" stamp (although it has been opened for who knows how long, LOL) and bearing the label for Brown and Williamson in Salem. Guessing that one has been around for a few years, because I don't remember seeing the blue packaging for many, many years now.
Too bad it was opened, I would have like to have tried it. It's dry as dust and who knows if there have been mice nesting in it for the last 20 years, LOL.
Also had some sort of aromatic perhaps in a very nice Everyman zipper tobacco pouch that I don't think looks like SWR, but who knows what it was in the day. I'll clean that out and put the pouch to use. Assuming one could just let it air out thoroughly and all would be fine?
Anyway, just thought somebody might get a kick out of that walk down memory lane with the "thermo sealed" pouch. I did.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting historical artifacts, and fun to hear about. I sampled a pouch of SWR Aromatic after not getting much from the SWR Regular, and I liked it so much I laid in a tub of it. It's not the same blend as yours were, but is a good one, based on good burley, with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs. It's pretty refined for a so-called codger blend, and it found just the codger it was looking for.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I'm quite impressed with the SWR Aromatic and usually have some around. For an OTC blend it is a real gem and the quality is excellent.
Would have been interesting to see what the older version was like, but it was just fun to see the old blue packet anyway.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A couple years back, I opened a couple of Thermo-Sealed pouches from the late 1960s, and the tobacco inside of both were still moist and fresh. I have one left from that time period, SWR, and some day, I will open it. That sealing process sure worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.