PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
There have been plenty of reviews and opinion of H&G ropes here but not many regarding the sliced versions. On a whim I ordered a couple of ounces of H&G Sliced Brown twist to see how much, if any, different it is compared to the rope form. Frequently a RR form of a flake will display the same characteristics but in a muted form. This does not appear to be the case here. If anything BTS is even more potent, both in flavor and strength, than the rope. The bag note is intense, incredibly redolent and aggressive, very reminiscent of classic English blends such as Condor, St. Bruno, and Mick McQuaid. And so is the resulting smoke but with the strength turned up to eleven. Came in the bag from P&C quite moist taking several lights to get going but eventually it settled down and played nice, burning to the bottom with no drama and a mottled gray ash.
This is one of those by God tobaccos that one can easily imagine being the stalwart friend of a weathered old sea-dog or grizzled grumpy landlubber. The flavor doesn't "develop" at all but stays aggressive, sour, and funky all the way to the bottom. That is not a criticism. I can see folks loving this stuff but a newbie would likely flee in terror and I wouldn't blame them a bit. It is freakishly strong. Kick your sorry butt strong. Even if you smoke this in the smallest pipe you have woozy head spins will likely be your fate. This is also a well known characteristic of the rope version but again seems intensified here, presumably because it burns easier. It is, to put it mildly, an acquired taste but once acquired will make smoking a nice bowl of straight burley seem like hardly smoking at all. No idea about the room note but I'd be willing to bet it would be a very good way of clearing a room.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Brown Twist Sliced is absolutely wonderful stuff! Very Smooooth.

I love the deep black walnut like flavor and it does pack a punch.

However, some burleys seem to bother me much more than this one in regard to nicotine.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
The pH of this stuff must be precisely suited to my nic absorption chemistry. It hits like a runaway freight train. Even Five Brothers seems a little weak in comparison.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I hear the secret to its potency is that it's pressed under the weight of a garbage scow then air cured over a manure pit to mellow it a bit.
Joking aside I've only once sampled the brown rope and can confirm that it's not for the "Nancy boys". It'll grow hair on your toenails and set your head to spinning if you don't watch yourself. I'd gladly try it again or the sliced but I'd think it'd be better if I cut it with something a little milder, maybe some straight up burley, idk.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you procure the Sliced Rope?

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"where did you procure the Sliced Rope?"
Pipes and Cigars.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I picked up 500g of this awhile back and loved the flavor but whoa, you are right. There is some serious strength, more than the rope of the same. This 500g is going to last a long time in this household. Been smoking it in smaller Falcon bowls, after a full meal and slowly.
Thanks for the review, darwin.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
pipetobacco.com is running a good sale on G&H bulk right now. Maybe they still have some Brown rope sliced. (The Dunhill blends are also on sale and a good deal but nothing else over there is all that competitive with PC or SPC's regular pricing...)

Status
Not open for further replies.