PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Usman

Lurker
Mar 19, 2022
Hello everone,

This might be a stupid question but I'm a complete newbie so please bear with me :)

I ordered a brand new Ropp Etudiant J04 pipe from Chapuis Comoy's online store and, initially, after opening the box, the pipe stem seemed to be fine. When I tried wiping it with a soft cloth, though, I saw what appears to be a very light brown mark on the stem. It seems as though part of the black 'coating' might have been chipped, I know that vulcatnie is susceptible to oxidization but I haven't smoked this pipe yet and I was extremely careful while wiping the stem so I don't think that that's what caused this mark.

My main concern is that the black coating might be flaking off and I don't know whether I would be inadvertently ingesting any tiny particles while smoking the pipe. I have attached a photo of the stem. Can you please let me know what you think?

Thank you! :)

Usman
s
=20&hash=32b2f57c7d79d7b0b0145958786b5ebf']

Attachments

• Pipe stem.jpg
    Pipe stem.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 49

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Hard for me to tell from the picture, the description is atypical of vulcanite IME. A new pipe should be nearly perfect, I’d probably send it back.

Reactions: Usman

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think that coloration is sometimes accentuated and offered as a "Cumberland" stem, but this is not a Cumberland stem, only a stem with slight discoloration. Ropp pipes aren't expensive, but my two are excellent smokers, well crafted, drilled well, with a good draw. I think this pipe is fine. I don't think the variation in the stem will shed any particles or odd fumes. My Ropps have given years of dependable smokes. I think you may relax and enjoy

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I think complete scan of the lung is in order. Might need to hit the ER now and ask for MRI.

Just kidding!

Relax. Have a smoke (not in that pipe if you're gonna return it), and call the shop. If you haven't smoked the pipe yet, most reasonable vendors will replace it for you. You can request the vendor the check the pipe before sending it out.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
to me it looks like it got scratched or chipped and where that happened it's either oxidized or is just a different shade inside then out. Either way I'd say it's purely cosmetic. Meaning I personally wouldn't care, I figure worse things will happen to a pipe as it gets used anyways. But if it is the difference between a pipe you enjoy or not that's all up to you. But it won't cause you any harm.

Usman

Lurker
Mar 19, 2022
Thanks, everyone :) I was worried that it might be bad from a health perspective but since it's just a cosmetic flaw I'll just go ahead and start smoking it! If anything, these cosmetic 'defects' actually add more character to an item (I'll still try to make sure that the vulcanite doesn't oxidize, of course :))

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
Looks like a mold line from manufacturing. If it collects moisture it will discolor. It should have been buffed out. I’d send it back.

Reactions: Usman

Usman

Lurker
Mar 19, 2022
Looks like a mold line from manufacturing. If it collects moisture it will discolor. It should have been buffed out. I’d send it back.
Thank you for your response, but I've already smoked the pipe once so I guess it's too late now. :) In any case, I was only worried about the possibility of any dangerous particles coming off the stem while smoking it. But those concerns have been allayed by the really helpful responses that I have received above.:)

Reactions: Donb1972