PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
I have a Rossi Lucca 611 EX Dublin which is less than 2 weeks old. I noticed that there is some brown discoloration on the underneath of the shank.. where it sits as it is flat in that area. What is causing this and how can I fix it since it's such a new pipe?

Reactions: ofafeather

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
It wasn't brown before? Maybe you mistakenly set it in a puddle of coffee? IDK, but it'll be interesting to hear what everyone comes up with.
No, it wasn't brown before. My initial thought is that maybe it got too hot at one point or perhaps I am not cleaning it good enough... etc.. I use this pipe once a day and it is used as the last smoke of the night which is around midnight each night.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
It’s hard to see from the pic, but I have several Rossi pipes and many have areas that the stain is lighter, particular on the Lucca and Vittoria pipes w/the black finish (see pics below near the stem and side...). I believe that a brownish stain is apply first, and then the black... If you’re certain that the bottom was black, then the top layer “might” have been removed when cleaning or due to wear. I doubt that there are any structural issues, particularly in that area... unless you see issues when examining the bowl. Nonetheless, if you’re not satisfied, then contact the vendor and perhaps they will exchange it. Never hurts to ask?
653481E7-9C51-40A8-8706-6E94B583D5AA.png
35E7832C-C25C-4B1E-A5FB-B5C7BCC41795.png

Last edited:
Yeh, if it were charring, it would be very obvious in the chamber, especially since it would have had to burn down through the draft and into the stem. Not likely to happen.
Briar isn't necessarily absorbent, but it can have holes or pores. I've seen pipes that have been smoked so much that a pore in the birdseye will ooze tars when smoked from years of it building up inside the briar. It could be something like that, maybe a hairline fracture that is letting juices soak down into it.

or, it could be completely cosmetic and a problem with the stain.

I'm sure that someone else will ring the bell on this one.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
Yeh, if it were charring, it would be very obvious in the chamber, especially since it would have had to burn down through the draft and into the stem. Not likely to happen.
Briar isn't necessarily absorbent, but it can have holes or pores. I've seen pipes that have been smoked so much that a pore in the birdseye will ooze tars when smoked from years of it building up inside the briar. It could be something like that, maybe a hairline fracture that is letting juices soak down into it.

or, it could be completely cosmetic and a problem with the stain.

I'm sure that someone else will ring the bell on this one.
Thank you.. your insight has eased my worries.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Those areas look intentionally done by the factory. I have various rusticated pipes by different makers where they've left a smooth surface section for the stamping and, often, the stain there looks lighter to a minimal degree from the rest of the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.