PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hey folks, I'm hoping one of you all can help me out here. I just recently bought 500 grams of Brown Bogie and I want store it "as is" because it's just too damn pretty to compromise it's figure. It's about 5 and half inches wide so I'me looking for a glass container with a 6 inch wide mouth. Anyone have any ideas where I could find something to store this Bogie in?
img_15631-450x600.jpg

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Does Brown Bogie taste the same as Brown Irish X? I love that one!!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It's pretty much the same but since it's smaller in diameter you're getting the same blend in different proportions. It's amazing and if ya like Brown Irish you'll most definitely like Brown Bogie.
Your gonna have to break this down in to large mason jars,

That's what I was afraid of. I've seen large containers that would hold it for a couple of years from Ikea but I'm wanting long term storage here.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
That is a thing of beauty!

BUT I'd break it down into smaller jars.

That way, when you open up one to smoke the rest of your cellared Bogie can continue to age undisturbed.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Not knowing the diameter I'm going to guess it will not fit into any size mason jar. I would get some Mylar bags 1 gallon or possibly a 5 gallon bag and put it in there. You could add an O2 absorber too. The O2 absorber will prevent it from aging but it will also prevent the flavors from degrading over time.
MylarPro has some nice 5 mil bags that are ziplock.

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I end up cutting it up in 4-5" lengths and stuff them in a mason jar.

If you are set on keeping it one piece I'm sure you could source glass that large.

When I was a kid I worked in a deli and the hot peppers came in a jar that could fit maybe 3 of them 500g twists.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Considered vacuum packing in one of the food sealers? Just not sure what you would like to spend on preserving the rope. I know places like Cabelas offer some industrial grade sealers for hunters.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I too loved the beauty of the intact Brown Happy Bogie so much so that I kept it in the original wrapper & vacuum sealed it with Cabela's large (18") sealer (which also works with Mylar bags).

I'll break it out is a few years or so, after I have consumed the pounds of other ropes stored in canning jars.

One concern about vacuum sealing is the theoretical absence of tobacco aging due to evacuation of the O2 necessary for the initial phase of the process. Many vacuum sealers, including mine, have a manual sealing option which allows for partial evacuation of air before sealing, such that normal aging would occur in the sealed bag.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
One concern about vacuum sealing is the theoretical absence of tobacco aging due to evacuation of the O2 necessary for the initial phase of the process.
True... as already noted
You could add an O2 absorber too. The O2 absorber will prevent it from aging but it will also prevent the flavors from degrading over time.
It is definitely something to ponder. If your tobacco has a casing/topping (and what doesn't?) you have to decide if you want it to age or not. In the presence of air, the topping and casing will degrade over time which is why so many aromatics go flat as they age. If your casing is laden with sugar you probably do not want to exclude air.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Yes aging aros is rather pointless which is why I keep only a relatively small number of them in my cellar most of which consists of Virginias, VaPers, and Kentuckys. I also have no bulk English blends since they also don't need much, if anything, in the way of aging. I do have a couple of pounds of rope sealed in Mylar Pro 5.25 mil bags and my expectation is that they will rest safely for decades whether they age or not. I do not vacuum seal anything since the blends that will normally benefit from aging need oxygen to start the process and so I also don't bother with the included O2 absorbers.
I am rather skeptical that vacuum sealing will stop aros from degrading over time but it's not an issue for me since my tastes do not run that direction anyway.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One concern about vacuum sealing is the theoretical absence of tobacco aging due to evacuation of the O2 necessary for the initial phase of the process.
Many vacuum sealers, including mine, have a manual sealing option which allows for partial evacuation of air before sealing, such that normal aging would occur in the sealed bag.
There will be oxygen in the tobacco even with vacuum sealing.
What authoritative source has said that O2 is required for aging?
You could add an O2 absorber too. The O2 absorber will prevent it from aging but it will also prevent the flavors from degrading over time.
Same for this statement: What's the source, and how sound is it?

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
"What authoritative source has said that O2 is required for aging?"
Greg Pease for one but as you point out even vacuum sealing will not eliminate oxygen. O2 absorbers might do that but there is really no need for blends that can take advantage of long term aging. I have no idea whether the absorbers will benefit bulk aros or not. I suspect not but I've never read anything definitive on the subject. One thing I do know that the moisture level of a blend that is heat-sealed into a thick metallized mylar bag is the level it will still have when it's opened unless it is physically attacked in some fashion.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I've made the decision to, unfortunately cut this beautiful bogie up into little pieces that way I can enjoy it one jar at a time and the rest of the Bogie can continue with its slumber undisturbed.
Thanks for all the suggestions, fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.