PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Sometimes we all just need a break. In my own case, about twelve years. Not, you understand from what might be diplomatically termed, the gentle art of smoking. But from pipes--and their pursuit (mainly patent and modern era Dunhills; along with also hunting down vintage tobacco). And so, to cut a long story short, not to mention what amounts to house arrest (combined with reduced work hours for the duration) these past 9 1/2 Weeks, I'm back. And delighted to have found my way to the forum (and your extremely informative, sometimes lively archives of past conversations).

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central N.C. My wife lived decades in Greenwich Village, did restaurant reviews for New York Newsday including plenty in Brooklyn, among other beats she covered over the years. Did Totonno's pizza place re-open after its fire about eight years ago? Are they still in business doing take-out? We got there before the fire; they had a review by my wife framed on the wall.

GJMinVT

Lurker
May 7, 2020
Vermont
Sometimes we all just need a break. In my own case, about twelve years. Not, you understand from what might be diplomatically termed, the gentle art of smoking. But from pipes--and their pursuit (mainly patent and modern era Dunhills; along with also hunting down vintage tobacco). And so, to cut a long story short, not to mention what amounts to house arrest (combined with reduced work hours for the duration) these past 9 1/2 Weeks, I'm back. And delighted to have found my way to the forum (and your extremely informative, sometimes lively archives of past conversations).
Hello from Vemont!

Reactions: guylesss

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you all for the gracious welcome!

Not perhaps the most auspicious moment for a NYC jaunt, but kcghost, you really should come back. As for the fabled Coney Island pizzeria Totonno's--yes! It did indeed reopen but seems to keep even more eccentric business hours than it did, and (to give a nod to the Dodgers and their betrayal), on my two attempts to visit the past couple of years, I struck out. But I promise to try again and will report back, mss489 about any framed restaurant reviews that have survived.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I was just thinking about how this stay-at-home situation is basically just house arrest. I try to count my blessings every day, but this is not something I care to go through again. Best wishes to you and your fellow NYers. Hope you are all hanging in there after such a rough go, and welcome to the forum fro the SF Bay Area!

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Let’s see some of these Dunhills...

In due course, it will be a pleasure to do so--though I cannot claim to own anything that will quicken the pulse, inspire awe, or incite jealousy.

Indeed, I am thoroughly humbled by what I've seen posted here by members-- including John Loring grade beauties, photographed with skill, perfectly lit (if you'll forgive the pun) and artfully styled too.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Ask any question, make any observation….

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Jan 27, 2020

Brooklyn here too! What neighborhood if I may ask?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.