PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I heard good things about Danish pipe shop, although I never worked with them. I hope you get your pipe fixed !

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I think, eventually I'm fixing to send my pipe to Danish too,let us see how they would deal with this sucker
cimg0195-600x450.jpg
options are few and rare

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Mine is now on it's way to Denmark to get a repair ebonite tenon done. It should arrive there in a few days. I'll show you, how the pipe will come back!
As you said, Paul, we do not have many options here in the EU. The pipe culture seems to be different here. Also we do not have much of an estate pipe market.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
All right, just a quick update, my 'globetrotter'Catello came back from Danish Pipeshop repair shop,well packaged, short turnaround time,and the tenon repair itself was executed pretty well, Acrylic stem was married with ebonite tenon ,nonetheless even my additional instruction''Please do not modify the shank of this very pipe in any way to facilitate the re-tenon work,otherwise my original brand new Castello replacement stem won't fit correctly'' to repair did not keep 'em from molesting'the shank, the mortise was drilled 3mm deeper and enlarged a tiny bit so that the Castello replacement stem ($70) won't fit snugly no more,eventually where neededI will figure out how to make it fit snugly,,1984198519861987

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update! First of all - what a beautiful pipe! It's looking good on your photos with the repaired tenon. But it's really a shame, that they did not follow your instructions concerning the modification of the mortise.

Mine has not yet come back, but it is on it's way from the same workshop. According to parcel tracking it should arrive tomorrow or on monday. I'll report on how it will come back.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update! First of all - what a beautiful pipe! It's looking good on your photos with the repaired tenon. But it's really a shame, that they did not follow your instructions concerning the modification of the mortise.

Mine has not yet come back, but it is on it's way from the same workshop. According to parcel tracking it should arrive tomorrow or on monday. I'll report on how it will come back.
Yes Julius, I'm pretty pleased with them results,could have been worse,but yes, our George D was foreseeing this to happen,,

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Finally I can give a report on the repair that has been done to my Dunhill.

I got my pipe back from Danish Pipe Shop on 18. of October. I consider this a good turnaround time, as I had sent them my pipe in the end of August.

The quality of the repair itself is far away from what I had expected. The pipe that I had sent them had probably only once been carefully polished with micro mesh pads and the lines of it's stem were still straight and clear. What I got back, was a pipe with a heavily polished stem. They had buffed away a great amount of ebonite and the lines of the mouthpiece are no longer straight, but kind of concave now. Probably, they had scratched the ebonite pretty much, while repairing it, because there was definitely no need of polishing before.

In addition to that there are still micro scratches on the mouthpiece, and even dull spots and marks, from whre they had it clamped. Also the mouthpiece appears to have a little crack now.

Furthermore, they even buffed away a good amount of briar, where the mouthpiece meets the stummel. Probably, because the mouthpiece did no longer fit correctly with the new Danish tenon and they wanted to make that unseen.

I added some photos of the repair work. Some pics speak for theirselfes, and I have not mentioned the issues pictured on them in the text. Unfortunately, I do not have any good before pics.

My conclusion, because, I admit, the pipe smokes well, is, that the Danish Pipe shop do a purely functional repair without taking care to maintain the beauty or historical value of a pipe. I hope I did not give a fussy impression of myself, but I did expect more of a professional repair shop.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I hope I did not give a fussy impression of myself, but I did expect more of a professional repair shop.
You're not being fussy. You wanted a seamless job and you didn't get one. SEAMLESSLY replacing a tenon isn't an easy fix and requires really advanced skills. There are only a couple of people I know with the skills to do that and neither of them are in Europe.
It's not the worst job I've seen, by any means, it's just not the best. Considering some of the butchery that's been posted here, carried out by a few of the most consistently recommended repair services, yours is practically flawless.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@burleyboy, Mr.Julius,,after experiencing all this crap with quite a few repairshops in Eu I have come to realize that repair services here are not interested in maintaning no beauty nor historical value of the pipe but instead are executing only functional repairs, efficiently and as quickly as possible,so for further reference it may turns out that only places to send higher end,valuable pipes for repairs is in U.S ,and perhaps in England

Reactions: burleyboy

burleyboy

Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thanks for all of your good words. Probably I will also let the folks of Danish Pipe Shop also know, what I am thinking about that particular repair job, when I have time.

Sable, it‘s consoling to know, there have been worse repair jobs done. It’ll be a good exercise for me to make peace with this pipe. Though it is still a bit hard for me to see and smoke this pipe without annoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.