PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
So today I was on my break at work and I was walking and smoking my pipe when I slid on a patch of ice and my pipe fell and the stem broke, now I got a pice of the stem suck in the pipe and don't want to break the pipe, and if I can get it out were I can get a replacement stem because I don't want to sell the bowl

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
bulldogbriar89:
My condolence on your "tough break!" Simply drive a wood-screw into the lumen of the tenon which is still inside of the pipe's mortice, and pull it straight out. Just make certain that the diameter of the screw is not too large, or you risk splitting the mortice.
I hope that this suggestion helps!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
A screw that will barely grab the broken piece without expanding it.
Edit...If you have the tools and your good, you can drill it out slightly to fit a screw also.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Tenon replacement, (or new stem) Tim West(Jh Lowe & Co.), Norwoods, both are very competent,
http://www.jhlowe.com/tobacco_pipe_repairs.htm
http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/index.php/pipe-repair
You could just send it as is, with both pieces.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I would just leave it, let a pro get it out, they've done it before...quite a few times I'm sure!

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
dmcmtk if I had the money I would but I am short on funds right now so I will have to try to do it myself.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Screw in a very tiny screw that will just fit, stick it in the freezer overnight, then with the slightest pull it should fall out. I've done this succesfully. The freezer is the essential part.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I hope you're aware that it will take quite a bit of work to fit a new stem to that pipe. The tenon will have to be turned down to fit the mortise,and the stem needs to be faced so that it will fit flush against the shank. Then it will need to be sanded down to the diameter or the shank,buffed and then bent--or bent then buffed. You cannot buy a direct perfect fitting stem .

check out Vermont Freehand on Ebay for stems.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
bulldogbriar89:
Contact Mike Myers at Walker Pipe Repair (Walker Pipe Repair). For what I believe to be a reasonable fee he can replace the broken tenon on the existing stem, and your pipe will be as good as new. He has performed this operation on two of my pipes, and I have found the quality of his work to be superb.
I hope that this helps!

jtpipe

Lurker
Dec 22, 2014
I am sorry to hear about your pipe. :( Also I wish I would have seen this thread sooner. I have limited experience, as I have only been into pipes for about 2 years now, but I have come into a couple pipes in this precise situation. As I said, I had I seen this thread earlier I would have recommended you not take the broken piece out, until you have a replacement, or the money to have it sent out a replacement properly fitted. Keeping the broken piece in, allows the pipe to keep shape, taking it out can risk the diameter changing slightly. Just my 2 cents from my limited experience and learnings from my life and this wonderful site.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Sorry to hear about your mishap, it happened once to me too. Mike Myers will, at the time, Dave Wolf, fit the stem with a delrin tenon, and your pipe, like mine will be as good as new if not better for $20. You will never even notice it's not the original stem & tenon.
http://www.walkerpiperepair.com/

mkelaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2012
Don't worry about removing it. You're not going to be able to replace the stem yourself anyway. For that, I concur with the comments about Mike Myers. Excellent. Any pipes that I put on my website requiring repair go to Mike. I haven't been disappointed yet and don't expect to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.