Broken stem Peterson Kapet 407 pre-republic? Fixable?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I bought this pipe about 6 months ago and never had a chance to smoke it. I received it I couldn't pull the stem out. I tried the freezer trick briefly, and tried a little oil to no avail. The next morning before work, (pre-coffee), I grabbed it and twisted it clockwise and it turned about 1/4 turn. Hastily applying more pressure I proceeded to snap the stem off of what I believe could be a pre-republic old Pete.

I was heart broken. I wanted to see if there was a stinger. As you can see, there isn't one visible in the draft hole.

I don't want to spend a mint to get this fixed, but I would really like to get it repaired.

Any advice would be appreciated as far as the possible year, and what my best options might be. Here are the pictures. :puffpipe:

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/bluegrasspipe/album/picture/22588

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/bluegrasspipe/album/picture/22589

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/bluegrasspipe/album/picture/22590

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/bluegrasspipe/album/picture/22591

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Here is another pic so you can see how nice the grain is.

IMG_3131_zpsoju5oykq.jpg
[/URL]

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I know stems are not "interchangeable." However, by any chance, do you know if a stem off a pre-republic 606 might fit with a bit of tinkering? If tenons were basically same, but say joint diameter might be just a hair bigger and could be gently sanded down to match? One in a million chance, but it would only cost time and sandpaper.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
It may be possible. However, the tenon is broken off in the mortise, and the shank is very thin on this one. So I am a bit wary of even trying to remove the tenon myself..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ouch. I just sold an identical pipe. Sure, just have someone put a delrin tenon on it, should be as good as new. Walker does quick turnarounds on jobs like that.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Thanks SS, I believe i saw some of your posts during my research..

Who is Walter? Ha ha..

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
BluegrassPiper, Just had this same issue to happen with one of my smaller pipes, I managed to pull that snapped tenon part out from mortise screwing a 6mm screw into it helping the process with some oil in between, but as far as I have been experimenting various ways to fix like of yours stem accidents'I found nothing that could work out successfully but send the pipe for restem, doin this dance before three times,so ennoying indeed and is pretty costly,(2 way shippings+ repair fees had similar as Yours 407 send for restemming to the factory in Ireland,and it took quite a time to get the problem sorted out)

Ps, Nice pre-reb Pete Prince so in one way or other You need to get this fixed yet make sure You've getting long enough stem for it, with P lip or standard,personally I'd go with standard one

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Paulie, I think your advice is the route I would like to take. The tenon, was very stuck and as I said the shank is so thin, I would hate to destroy such a nice old pipe. I will make sure the stem is long enough. And I used to really like P-lips, but I am beginning to lean standard as well.

Did they replace the stem with a stinger on yours, I thought all of the 407's had stingers? I am still trying to figure out if there is a stinger in there or not. Thanks again for the advice.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Do NOT try to remove broken-off tenons with a common screw of any kind. Screw threads engage using pressure, and the chance of splitting the shank is VERY high.
Use a tap instead. They are designed to engage with a cutting action that does not cause expansion.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Good advice georged. As I said the thing looks to be less than 1/8 of an inch, and with my luck.. I don't want to tempt fate.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Bluegrass, see what mr Georged said,this sure is better way to go and especially when the shank is on the thinner side as it is the case with these 407,once I dropped my thin shanked prince type briar on the floor and afterward noticed this dropping has caused a hair thin fracture progressing along the shank, happily enough, this time a quick super glue repair did the trick,so you see me quite a master at dropping pipes,and should a be said I wasen't under the influence this time around) lets get now to the stem work,shall we,These types or any other of Petersons,ain't gotten no stringer whatsoever,and should you plan on sending it to any pipesmith'or should it be the factory repair shop,then make sure you should get 3,5 inches long stem thats the closest to original of it, or I will buy it later,I hope this had some help to you, Regards, Paul

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Hmm, I read and seen a lot of pictures showing this Jr. line had stingers/innertubes, not to be confused with the deluxe version of the condenser. Peterson forum

I could easily see how it could fracture if you aren't careful. I will send it in for sure.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Both of my Junior line pipes came with metal tubes (Dunhill style). I assume most folks discarded them, although when I tried smoking mine without it, the draft hole was way too large for my preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.