PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Rolando passed away yesterday. I will leave to those that knew him, the responsibility of remembrance. I know that he is the kind of person I would love to have had as a friend. From what I have read, he attacked life, whether making pipes or ice climbing, with the gusto we all wish we had in us, until his unfortunate medical emergency a few years back. I am reposting here for a general thread since I commented the news of his passing in a thread that might get buried. Please delete if not appropriate.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016

I think the article has an English version button, aside from the Google translate option.

God rest his souls...

Devil Anse

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2020
California
He was an amazing Artist/Craftsman. Thank you for sharing this information. Here is a little more about him. May God rest his soul.
77ce80_cf78844d574a44919e100ad21f6a35eb.jpg

Rolando Negoita was born in Transylvania, a region of Romania with a long tradition of craftsmanship. Subsequently, his artistic background is rooted in many family generations.

Rolando's pipe making passion started back in Romania where pipes were not available anywhere on the market and tobacco could only be smuggled. He began experimenting with burls of all kinds, such as cherry and rose wood, though briar wood was still only a dream. These beginings led to an ever-growing appreciation and love for natural materials and especially wood.

Rolando Negoita is a graduate of the Romanian Academy of Fine Arts, Bucharest, and spends some of his time as an associate professor, teaching metalsmithing and product design at Parsons School of Design in New York City. Rolando can also be spotted climbing the rock cliffs of the Shawangunk Mountains or tending to his wood-fired sourdough bread.

Rolando's Pipes

A pipe is a tool. It has a function and, if it is well made, it will fulfill that function in a way that is both competent and rewarding. Like fine pens, knives, or watches there can be something more. Rolando’s pipes are made in the tradition of artisanal mastery. They smoke with ease and feel as if they were made for the hand. His approach has both the freedom to create in the best sense of modernism and, yet, display the age-old attention to craft that is so often lost in a world of mass production and commodity. His aesthetic vocabulary is wide-ranging and complex.

There are pipes that take their cues from ancient pottery, modern plumbing, Art Deco design, fruits, nuts, eggs, twisted vines, and creatures of the sea. In every case there is an awareness of the purpose of these objects. Rolando’s craft encompasses the skill of an engineer and the eye of an artist. He uses techniques of carving and metalwork that demonstrate a keen familiarity with the work of artists and craftspeople from many ages and many cultures. His ability to combine a modernist sensibility with old world skill is rare in the pipe world and even rarer in the world at large. New methods of engineering are combined with ancient knowledge into an object that has no true parallel in the world of contemporary pipe making and yet the influence of his work can be seen in the work of peers and students alike.

When you hold a pipe of Rolando’s in your hand and put flame to leaf, it is instantly clear that you are using a tool, an heirloom, and a masterpiece.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
High-quality English translation available of madox07's article by pressing the "EN" button at upper left. I didn't know that Mr. Negoita was so very highly regarded.

Devil Anse

Mar 29, 2020
California
High-quality English translation available of madox07's article by pressing the "EN" button at upper left. I didn't know that Mr. Negoita was so very highly regarded.
Yes, much more detailed information available in madox07 article, a excellent article including pictures of his many works.

Last edited:
Reactions: madox07

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
He was an amazing Artist/Craftsman. Thank you for sharing this information. Here is a little more about him. May God rest his soul.
77ce80_cf78844d574a44919e100ad21f6a35eb.jpg

Rolando Negoita was born in Transylvania, a region of Romania with a long tradition of craftsmanship. Subsequently, his artistic background is rooted in many family generations.

Rolando's pipe making passion started back in Romania where pipes were not available anywhere on the market and tobacco could only be smuggled. He began experimenting with burls of all kinds, such as cherry and rose wood, though briar wood was still only a dream. These beginings led to an ever-growing appreciation and love for natural materials and especially wood.

Rolando Negoita is a graduate of the Romanian Academy of Fine Arts, Bucharest, and spends some of his time as an associate professor, teaching metalsmithing and product design at Parsons School of Design in New York City. Rolando can also be spotted climbing the rock cliffs of the Shawangunk Mountains or tending to his wood-fired sourdough bread.

Rolando's Pipes

A pipe is a tool. It has a function and, if it is well made, it will fulfill that function in a way that is both competent and rewarding. Like fine pens, knives, or watches there can be something more. Rolando’s pipes are made in the tradition of artisanal mastery. They smoke with ease and feel as if they were made for the hand. His approach has both the freedom to create in the best sense of modernism and, yet, display the age-old attention to craft that is so often lost in a world of mass production and commodity. His aesthetic vocabulary is wide-ranging and complex.

There are pipes that take their cues from ancient pottery, modern plumbing, Art Deco design, fruits, nuts, eggs, twisted vines, and creatures of the sea. In every case there is an awareness of the purpose of these objects. Rolando’s craft encompasses the skill of an engineer and the eye of an artist. He uses techniques of carving and metalwork that demonstrate a keen familiarity with the work of artists and craftspeople from many ages and many cultures. His ability to combine a modernist sensibility with old world skill is rare in the pipe world and even rarer in the world at large. New methods of engineering are combined with ancient knowledge into an object that has no true parallel in the world of contemporary pipe making and yet the influence of his work can be seen in the work of peers and students alike.

When you hold a pipe of Rolando’s in your hand and put flame to leaf, it is instantly clear that you are using a tool, an heirloom, and a masterpiece.
jguss called him a Renaissance man, and look at him taking some time after turning out his bread, smoking, probably while he contemplates shape, glass of red wine in the proper glass. More European than American.

boston

Jun 27, 2018
Boston
My wife and I used to attend pipe shows in the early 2000's and we became friendly with Rolando and his wife Alexandra. I started to collect his pipes. Rolando had a unique and signature style - I always appreciated the organic shapes. I commissioned some jewelry from them for my wife (yes they made jewelry as well). We have stayed in touch all these years.

We were truly saddened to hear of Rolando's passing. He'd been ill for a while, and as a very tough guy he put up a profoundly brave fight. So did his wife and his son, who valiantly did everything they could. He was indeed a renaissance man, and he was a good man. His accomplishments span beyond the pipe-smoking hobby, and knife making and teaching and mountain climbing. He and his wife were devoted to one another, and they raised a remarkable son who became a scientist. I'd bet that those are the things Rolando was most proud of.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Thanks to Mr.Negoita's exit from the gross plane, I had several alternate takes on the reality about me while I enjoyed my first Covid vaccination at the University of North Carolina's mammoth Friday Center today.

It was a very well-coordinated effort, moving 500?, 700? people at a time through the process. Dystopian, that we were hungry and there for a few cans of beans and franks; all over 65, the reality of birth, sickness, aging and death. We don't have long.

Neither birth nor death is optional. We can't die, and taking on another form follows the irreality of death. We wander in samsara in pursuit of nirvana, but both are illusion. Only Buddhahood is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.