PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some of you old timers may remember Richard Friedman. He ran a whale sighting yacht in Alaskan during the tourist season and was also pipe maker (his specialty were sea creature shapes). The Yacht was "He was a member of the NYC pipe club. He passed a few days ago and this was shared on the NYC pipe club page. He lived a rich life.

I believe there is a thread her somewhere, on how he stored his pipes on the yacht.

David Whyte - SONG FOR THE SALMON
For too many days now I have not written of the sea, nor the rivers, nor the shifting currents we find between the islands. For too many nights now I have not imagined the salmon threading the dark streams of reflected stars, nor have I dreamt of his longing, nor the lithe swing of his tail toward dawn. I have not given myself to the depth to which he goes, to the cargoes of crystal water, cold with salt, nor the enormous plains of ocean swaying beneath the moon. I have not felt the lifted arms of the ocean opening its white hands on the seashore, nor the salted wind, whole and healthy, filling the chest with living air. I have not heard those waves, fallen out of heaven onto earth, nor the tumult of sound and the satisfaction of a thousand miles of ocean, giving up its strength on the sand. But now I have spoken of that great sea, the ocean of longing shifts through me, the blessed inner star of navigation moves in the dark sky above and I am ready like the young salmon, to leave his river, blessed with hunger, for a great journey on the drawing tide. ...
Richard Max Friedman
10-26-50
⚓
2-26-23

1677759679135.png

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Sad News. Richard was a nice guy who built a fine collection and later carved some very nice pipes. I will use a beautiful silver L2 lighter I bought from him years ago to light a pipe in his memory. RIP

Reactions: woodsroad

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This is very sad news. I cannot say I ever ran into him at any of NY Pipe Club get togethers but the loss of one of our own always is sad event. RIP

Sep 17, 2019
I am also saddened to hear of his passing. I also met him at the West Coast Pi[es Show when he 1st started to sell his hand made briar pipes. He mase a small poked from briar that me made out to look like a cob which he called a snob cob. I regret passing on it initially because it went fast. I later bought a pipe he made from Marty Pulvers. We lost a great friend and pure advocate for our fraternity here ladies and gent. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Richard and I am calling dibs on your next snob cob.

Pipe Collector 34

Aug 1, 2012
Sorry to hear that. Was he ever a member here? I remember a guy who used to post pictures from his boat in Alaska and wondered if it was the same person.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yes, many years ago, under the name yachtexplorer.
Yep, that was him. I primarily remember him from the old SmokersForums.UK, that was he was most visible.

I think he came to the NYC meetings, in the off-season, to visit his son. (I recall his son was in a band)