Britwood Identification Experts - Any Ideas On This?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
2B6D01C2-E4B0-4EFB-9832-8E4CCCEF9B56.jpeg
Nomenclature buffed nearly into oblivion, but I’m certain it says London Made. No other markings visible.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Let me start by saying I have no clue. Guesses, yes, but knowledge, no. At various times Sasieni, GBD, Parker, Comoy and a number of others used the phrase London Made. A little more to go on might possibly help. For example, is the London over the Made? Or in a straight line? Or arched? Is the font block or cursive, with or without serifs, all caps, etc? Is it possible to show a picture? And is there anything stamped on the stem, top or bottom? Is the button opening orific or a slot? Can you show a shot of the tenon? Is there any hardware inside the pipe?

None of this would be, even if available, necessarily dispositive, but any additional info whatsoever might be helpful. You never know.

Reactions: paulfg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Thanks for that, I will try to post more photos.

London Made is block caps in a straight line on the flat spot on the bottom but extremely faint and only partially legible.

No other markings anywhere or evidence they were ever present. Pretty certain the stem never had any, but can’t say for sure the stem is original although it sure seems correct and well fitted.

Slot is straight.

No hardware in stem and doesn’t look like there ever was any.

Any guesses are appreciated. It has that Dunhill look with the quasi-swan neck style but I’m sure it isn’t a Dunhill of any kind. Maybe could be a related second or something else? I don’t have any real knowledge of the makers who copied that shape.

Mostly it’s a curiosity thing, and I don’t want to sell it or think I have a treasure or anything super collectible or such. Just think it’s fun to know something about what the possibilities are. ?

0431FB65-180D-450B-BAAD-298339E40576.jpeg

I’m smoking it right now or I’d pull the stem to show the tenon. I will post a photo once it cools.

Last edited:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I’ve seen newish Parkers, the odd Hardcastle, and older Sasienis with “LONDON MADE” all caps in a straight line. Maybe Dave, Al, or another forum maven will chime in after you post a pic of the tenon.

Reactions: verporchting

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Whilst cleaning and photographing I did notice a very tiny metal tube or sleeve deep in the draft hole I had never seen before. Not sure if that’s original or a repair?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Not enough information. Probably one of millions of shop/basket pipes stamped that way.
The shape looks Sasieni like, but they lack that flat panel style nomenclature panel.
I don't recall any with a metal piece in the draft hole - could it be the remnant of a broken stinger tube?

Too bad they can't talk!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not enough information. Probably one of millions of shop/basket pipes stamped that way.
The shape looks Sasieni like, but they lack that flat panel style nomenclature panel.
I don't recall any with a metal piece in the draft hole - could it be the remnant of a broken stinger tube?

Too bad they can't talk!
Yeah, my first thought when I looked at it was Sasieni as well. If it's not a Sasieni product, it sure looks like one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting how anonymous tobacco pipes can be. Maybe not even London made. Looks like a well-made pipe, nicely shaped and the stem well turned. Apparently it smokes well enough, maybe better.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
It could well be a basket pipe. It wasn’t expensive but I love the look of it. Seems well made and reasonably old. Smokes nicely and the blast is interesting for sure.

I forget exactly what I paid for it, but $40 or so I think. Maybe less. Meh, I certainly enjoy it and it’s been worth the cost whatever it was. As I recall it was an impulse buy after seeing a bunch of old LC pipes and a few artisan pipes of similar shape and thought why not.

Last night I had that puppy filled with Salty Dogs and it was probably a bit too much for one sitting because I was practically comatose by the time it was finished but I had a dopey grin as I shambled off to bed, lol.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
LONDON MADE is pointing to a GBD or Saseini. I saw a Saseini made "Friar" on pipephil that has a wide strip of rusticsation sanded off and used for stamping. I have city deluxe pipes with straight tubes in them like the one that is lodged in yours, So my guess is a GBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.