PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I was curious about the British Butner Sytle Pipe Tool (http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pitobrbust.html). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these and just when one would need to use one.
Thanks!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
When I need to ream, which isn't all that often, I'll used the British Burner Reamer. Recommended by Gary Schrier in his book Confessions of a Pipeman (Briar Book Press). Unique patent fits any chamber. But if yoy wipe out the bowl routinely your cake will build up very slowly. I use the reamer mainly in refurbishing estate pipes that come in heavily caked.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A link to a video on reaming was passed along through Forums not long ago. It was great to watch,

explaining both the Butner style and the senior reamers. On that post, roth explained that keeping

pipes clean makes the need for a reamer rare to nonexistent. Though a set of reamers might make

sense if, like kashmir (as mentioned in this post) one does some renovation of estate pipes.

But if you have a pipe that you scoop out, wipe out, and clean with a pipe cleaner every time, it is

not likely you will develop the kind of cake that requires a reamer. For example, I have at least three

pipes that are more than 30 years old that have been smoked quite a lot. They have a little char around

the rim of the bowl and a solid cake, but the cake has never developed much thickness, never more than

a dime's thickness. As a result, I have never bought a reamer. You can do some damage by overuse,

so it is best to only use a reamer when absolutely necessary. The video said the senior reamer was best

for cylindrical bowls whereas the Butner is best for bowls that are conical and taper toward the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.