PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deimitori

Might Stick Around
Oct 14, 2010
I read this article and if this will be true I think it will be a very bad and sad matter for all of us who love Dunhill pipe tobacco.
http://cigar-coop.com/2017/02/cigar-news-british-american-tobacco-to-discontinue-dunhill-cigars-and-pipe-tobacco.html

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I think you are a little late to the game. This has been discussed quite extensively for the past 2 weeks. The run on Dunhill pipe tobacco has already started. Smoking pipes.com shows 4 Dunhill blends in the "10 best seller" list.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's unclear to me where and who manufactures Dunhill tobaccos, and the chain of ownership - i.e.. General Cigar- BAT?
Dunhill-Vintage-Blend-Pipe-Tobacco.jpg

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
The Dunhill family business owns the brand name, British American Tobacco is licensed by them to manufacture their pipe tobacco blends and for the last decade or so they've been doing that at their Orlik factory in Denmark.

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
It seems K&K in Germany are the ones producing Dunhill

http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/tabak/dunhill/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We're on our second or third round on this subject, but I'll repeat myself. Whoever owns the brand isn't going to leave the money on the table, in my opinion. So these blends will reappear under new ownership for better or worse. Unless there's some debt against the brand we can't see, or other countervailing circumstance, these will appear again. If sales were plummeting, it would be a different picture, but I don't see that. It may be that the brand is milking the appearance of discontinuing for a nice bounce in sales before springing the "happy" news of a new owner.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I've hoarded some of my Dunhill favorites. But the question remains: is this a marketing ploy, or a true crisis? I've got my finger on the trigger of an abnormally large order. Just need some intel. For me, there are two -maybe three- blends that would warrant stocking up multi-pounds worth of tins. Life is too short to lament great tobacco lost.
Edit: to add color- had I known Burley London Blend was going to go out of production, I would have gladly laid down four figures. But who can navigate through marketing ploy vs full-on termination?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We're on our second or third round on this subject, but I'll repeat myself. Whoever owns the brand isn't going to leave the money on the table, in my opinion. So these blends will reappear under new ownership for better or worse.
Maybe. But due to FDA Regs they won't be available here in any event. EU regs and regs in individual countries are every bit as draconian. So there really may not be any real money being left on the table.
Given the current set of circumstances, the smart play is to buy them while you can. I was over at my local B&M today and there were stacks of Elizabethan Mixture, Durbar, Aperitif, London Mixture, etc that are anywhere from 2 to 5 years old, literally covered in dust because no one buys them. There's a ton of the stuff in B&M's and yes, you'll pay more, but it will have some age on it. I bought a few 100 gram tins each of 5 year old Vintage Syrian and Acadian Perique.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If, when, and as Dunhill blends are no longer available to all but the very rich, we have a great stable of American blenders who make excellent English/Balkan style blends. Everytime I've named the players I've left out good people, so won't go there now.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The Dunhill family business owns the brand name, British American Tobacco is licensed by them to manufacture their pipe tobacco blends and for the last decade or so they've been doing that at their Orlik factory in Denmark.
The only correct information here is that the Dunhill blends are made by Orlik (STG). Please read the previous posts on the topic.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Now that's a first ... a member that will not mourn the Dunhill extinction :puffpipe:

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Now that's a first ... a member that will not mourn the Dunhill extinction
Wouldn't bother me in the least, although they have some fine blends there are many, many others out there that I prefer. I do feel bad for those that would lose a favorite though :crying:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wouldn't bother me in the least, although they have some fine blends there are many, many others out there that I prefer. I do feel bad for those that would lose a favorite though :crying:
Ditto. Never a fave, but it's sad to lose a fave. It's still around for a year or so, so stock up.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I've never tried Dunhills. Can't miss what you don't know. I tend to stick predominantly to GH and SG

Status
Not open for further replies.