PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Greetings All,

In my quest to discover new blends I was lucky enough to try a bowl of Margate, which I found quite enjoyable. I quickly got the impression it is one of those blends that is rare and elusive. What I liked about it (I think), is that it was creamier and slightly less intense (Latakia?) than the PS Proper English which was my only comparison. Can anyone suggest a blend with similar characteristics? If it helps, the other blends I like alot so far include 3 Nuns and HH Burley Flake. The jury is still out on HH Pure Virginia. I like the HH ODF as well but it carries a stronger nic kic I find.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Smokers Haven Our Best Blend is very similar, but not exactly frequently obtainable. You may like Esoterica Pembroke as well, its just Margate with a light Cognac topping and is one of the most easily obtainable Eso blends.

Other than that, try GL Pease Maltese Falcon, Arango Balkan Supreme, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding, and Boswell’s Northwoods. All easy to get, all fantastic.

If you are digging the HH line so far they also make a Latakia Flake and a Balkan blend that should scratch an english itch.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Other than that, try GL Pease Maltese Falcon, Arango Balkan Supreme, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding, and Boswell’s Northwoods. All easy to get, all fantastic.

If you are digging the HH line so far they also make a Latakia Flake and a Balkan blend that should scratch and english itch.
[/QUOTE]

I wondered about those other HH blends but was intimidated by the thought of a "Latakia Flake." Is it just another way of describing an English blend?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

If you are digging the HH line so far they also make a Latakia Flake and a Balkan blend that should scratch and english itch.

I wondered about those other HH blends but was intimidated by the thought of a "Latakia Flake." Is it just another way of describing an English blend?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah its just an english blend pressed into flakes. Nothing to fear :)

Balkan Blend is their replacement for vintage syrian, ribbon cut and possibly more approachable if flakes worry you.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleRasta

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Having heard of Latakia "bombs" you can appreciate my hesitancy lol. Thanks for the tips though. I may well start with those two. The name Balkan Sasieni entices me as well though, just for the sound of it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The whole concept of Latakia “bombs” is a little “overblown” :ROFLMAO: in my opinion. They can be intense but it won’t kill you. English blends with high lat content aren’t that crazy.

Margate certainly isn’t short on it so if you like that any of the above blends will be fine for you. The tin/bag note on Northwoods might be the exception, that shit straight reeks like campfire. Tastes incredible though.

Balkan Sasieni is a good one, but the Arango Balkan Supreme I mentioned above is a very similar bulk blend (some say its actually just bulk sasieni) and is much cheaper, and you can buy a single oz to try it out instead of a whole tin.

Reactions: UncleRasta

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Arango needn't be mentioned with BS. All Balkan Supremes are the same blend be it Stokkebye, Arango or whatever name is on it. Just depends on who's distributing it. As for Sasieni, it's made by the Scandanavian Tobacco Group just like BS and many believe it's the same thing, myself included.

Lat bombs are a waste of good tobacco. Once Latakia reaches a certain percentage, it overshadows a blend. Pirate Kake is 70% Latakia and may as well be straight Cyprian.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Arango needn't be mentioned with BS. All Balkan Supremes are the same blend be it Stokkebye, Arango or whatever name is on it. Just depends on who's distributing it. As for Sasieni, it's made by the Scandanavian Tobacco Group just like BS and many believe it's the same thing, myself included.

Lat bombs are a waste of good tobacco. Once Latakia reaches a certain percentage, it overshadows a blend. Pirate Kake is 70% Latakia and may as well be straight Cyprian.

yeah, I just say Arango b/c its the one I usually order and its the one SP carries. Either one works.

I guess my point with “lat bombs” was really more that the term gets thrown around too often to describe english blends that just have slightly more prominent latakia, when really, to me, it should be reserved for blends like pirate kake that are over the top (although I do like it).

Maybe I’m the odd one out though, as english blends that are up to 50% Lat I have often enjoyed. All subjective I suppose.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Straight Latakia ain’t bad, but I’d rather smoke straight Sutliff TS-19 , and just imagine a ‘Latakia smoked’ version.
Currently smoking some straight D&R Izmir. Good stuff!!
Straight orientals, now you're in my wheelhouse!puffy

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Balkan Sasieni is a good one, but the Arango Balkan Supreme I mentioned above is a very similar bulk blend (some say its actually just bulk sasieni) and is much cheaper, and you can buy a single oz to try it out instead of a whole tin.

Now, I thought - and I may recalling this incorrectly - that Balkan Supreme was the third of the three blends from the Balkan Sobranie 759 throwdown at the Chicago Pipe Show several years back. The People's Choice went to McClelland, for the blend later released as Blue Mountain and renamed to Balkan Blue. The judges chose the blend later released as Hearth and Home Dark Star, and the third was Arango Balkan Supreme - the only one of the three I have not smoked.
I have smoked a lot of Balkan Sasieni, and I personally find that closer to the old Balkan Sobranie OSM (white tin) as opposed to 759 (black tin).

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Now, I thought - and I may recalling this incorrectly - that Balkan Supreme was the third of the three blends from the Balkan Sobranie 759 throwdown at the Chicago Pipe Show several years back. The People's Choice went to McClelland, for the blend later released as Blue Mountain and renamed to Balkan Blue. The judges chose the blend later released as Hearth and Home Dark Star, and the third was Arango Balkan Supreme - the only one of the three I have not smoked.
I have smoked a lot of Balkan Sasieni, and I personally find that closer to the old Balkan Sobranie OSM (white tin) as opposed to 759 (black tin).
The throwdown entries were McClelland's Balkan Blue, Hearth & Home's Blackhouse, and Sutliff's Balkan Luxury Blend 957.

Reactions: tnfan and judcole
Status
Not open for further replies.