PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Edited title: No all caps, please!

I think I'm right in saying 'smokingpipes.com' now own Peterson's In Dublin. So hopefully one of their chaps might see this & have a word (One can hope at least Lol). This shape went missing from their line up nearly ten years ago now. Withdrawn due to low sales numbers apparently. I for one would love to see it back & I suspect many others would too. With the decline of the B&M shops (here in Britain at least) & the huge increase in online shopping over the last ten years, can't help thinking Peterson's are 'missing a trick' by not making this one anymore. For me, the prettiest looking out of all their bent pipes & the chamber size perfect for what I smoke. So, if anybody from Peterson's/smokingpipes is listening I'd like two please. Both deluxe versions, one smooth & one sandblasted would suit me. Thankyou so much.
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
My first Peterson was a rusticated estate 309. It still is, I guess. I have a soft spot for that shape, and wouldn't mind a smooth one to keep the other company.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I like the looks except for the stem gap.
Frankly, I don't see the point with an intentional gap.
Supposedly it's to account for wear, over the years. I believe Mark Twain's was worn down until the gap disappeared, making the stem flush with the shank. But that requires heavy, and probably not too respectful, usage. I don't think it looks as weird as the ubiquitous saddle bit.

Reactions: timelord

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Supposedly it's to account for wear, over the years. I believe Mark Twain's was worn down until the gap disappeared, making the stem flush with the shank. But that requires heavy, and probably not too respectful, usage. I don't think it looks as weird as the ubiquitous saddle bit.
I’m not sure I understand how the tenon is meant to wear down from heavy use. What sort of use/abuse are we talking about? Is it just me? I don’t see how just smoking the pipe would make the gap disappear.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I’m not sure I understand how the tenon is meant to wear down from heavy use. What sort of use/abuse are we talking about? Is it just me? I don’t see how just smoking the pipe would make the gap disappear.

It wasn't meant to wear down. It's simply a Peterson take on a military stem so that it could be easily taken apart and cleaned. The gap would narrow with extreme abuse but under normal circumstances it would only narrow marginally.

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
I always thought it was common knowledge among pipe cognoscenti that the gap was made to account for heavy usage--not smoking directly, but the wear from constant removing of the stem for cleaning a system pipe. Like a lifetime of wear. But what do I know, other than what I read or absorb from pipe talk, whether accurate or someone's hallucination. That someone may well be the Peterson company itself, I suspect. For what it's worth, here's an old and a "new" Mark Twain. I have one of the latter, and it has a way to go before matching that of Twain's. Perhaps it never will--I'm not in Twain's league, as far as usage goes. Maybe it's a mere marketing ploy. Maybe Twain's never had the gap. Your guess is as good or bad as mine.

Pete MT.JPG

Mark_TwainsOwn_Pipe.JPG

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
I don’t care for the looks of those models where the stem doesn’t fit flush, strikes me as unfinished.
Disclaimer: MY OPINION ONLY

All "military" style bits look unfinished to me. I know their purpose, but it's like the maker couldn't take the time to make a flush fit with stem-to-shank mating, and stuck a generic tube into the shank and called it good. Petersons like the above are the least offensive, as they at least pay lip service, so to speak, to the stem eventually mating up with the shank. At least they look as though they would. Plus, the first time I ever saw one I thought they looked cool. An anthropologist (possibly Richard Leakey) was smoking one in a photo in National Geographic many years ago. The gap, I suspect, causes consternation among those fighting OCD, and others. Each to his own, blah blah.