PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
Hello, I want to know this, is there anybody who get the Tongue bite from Bright Virginia?
In my case, about 20-percent of chance to get the Tongue Bite from Bright Virginia.
(How Embarrassing!)
Like Dunhill Flake, Mc Barren Virginia Flake, and Sometimes Peter Stokkebye LTF...
They have something in Common, Bright Color, and have little Moist so easy to tear.

Right, I'm an HASTY SMOKER,
But with the Same Draw Pace, There's No Bite from Dark Colored, and Soaked Virginia.

So I'm Curious. is this Just the matter of the Draw Pace? or matter of the physical constitution like burley alergy.
Thank you all guys in Advance.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Can't say. It could be a chemical/allergic reaction or too hot and the steam is nipping your tongue. I think some of the problems with Virginia tobacco is it is a bit lighter/milder so people puff harder to try to get more out of it. If it is burning your tongue, try smoking ultra slow. Make sure it is very, very dry. Use a pipe cleaner to soak up moisture while you're smoking. If it still bites your tongue, then it is likely chemical or allergy.

Reactions: dcon

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
Can't say. It could be a chemical/allergic reaction or too hot and the steam is nipping your tongue. I think some of the problems with Virginia tobacco is it is a bit lighter/milder so people puff harder to try to get more out of it. If it is burning your tongue, try smoking ultra slow. Make sure it is very, very dry. Use a pipe cleaner to soak up moisture while you're smoking. If it still bites your tongue, then it is likely chemical or allergy.
Thank you! "ULTRA SLOW PUFF", I will try!
I'm Using the cleaner to soak up and tilting to flow to outside the moisture.
and I Agree with that, lighter, so puff harder... Slow, Slow, Ultra Slow. Got it!

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Virginia bite could be steam, and it could be PH. Virginia has a low PH (is acid).
All of the above tips will help. Adding a more alkaline tobacco will as well. Burley has a high PH (alkaline), so does Perique. Both will change the flavor of course, Perique less so. It's surprising how little Perique it takes to tame things.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Just keep smoking through the burn! It can be tough but your mouth will acclimate. This is probably horrible advice so take it with a grain of salt but some tobaccos that would give me what I would call chemical burn (just burns on first sip) would eventually let up as my mouth got used to the new tobacco I was smoking, yeah I lost a few teeth, my gums bleed all the time and my tongue is swollen but damn, it I enjoy those flavors too much!

In all seriousness, I did just suck it up and power through and now I never get the burn... well, never say never, right?

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
Just keep smoking through the burn! It can be tough but your mouth will acclimate. This is probably horrible advice so take it with a grain of salt but some tobaccos that would give me what I would call chemical burn (just burns on first sip) would eventually let up as my mouth got used to the new tobacco I was smoking, yeah I lost a few teeth, my gums bleed all the time and my tongue is swollen but damn, it I enjoy those flavors too much!

In all seriousness, I did just suck it up and power through and now I never get the burn... well, never say never, right?
Wow, So Impressive! 'but your mouth will acclimate'...
Just Like the Chinese Kung Fu Teacher lol.
When Next Tongue Bite, I'll Try It!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah I get bitten from all types of Virginia. The only kinds of Virginia I like are smothered and hidden inside Burley blends.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wow! Very Interesting! I thought crispy Tobacco Doesn't have the taste and flavor.
Think about a drink with ice in it. As the ice melts, the flavor of the drink is diluted by unwanted added moisture. Bone dry is the way to go with Virginias.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I'm only 3 months into pipe smoking and definitely had/have issues with tongue bite. I also, generally, prefer VA and VA blends. I *think* my technique is improving as tongue bit is rather mild when it happens, and is occurring less and less. I also *think* it had to do with learning to use my gullet/interior neck muscle to help draw vs using my mouth and jaw alone to draw.

Not as easy as smoking cigarettes or cigars, to be sure.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Based on my own anecdotal experience, I think the majority of tongue burn comes from puffing too hard on lights and relights. When you're puffing hard enough to bring the flame down into the tobacco, you are sucking hot air directly from / across that flame and onto your tongue. Just holding the flame above the top of the bowl and drawing slowly, rather than sucking the flame down into the bowl, can make a huge difference in how your tongue feels later.

Also, there is "tongue bite" which as I understand is a chemical reaction of some sort to the tobacco or a component of the tobacco, and is really pretty rare. I've read that its more common with Virginias generally, and certain Virginias in particular, but I suspect that most of the trouble people have would be more accurately described as tongue burn rather than bite, and their problem is related to aggressive pipe lighting, and to a lesser extent puffing too hard generally.