PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Is this one of the Lakelands? I dare to say it is. For a non-aromatics, I find this tobacco rather soapy, but not in a bad way. It will dissipate as you progress in your smoke though. There is this floral aroma in it which is quite apparent from the outset as you light up your pipe. I find the virginia tobacco, on the other hand, somewhat spicy and full flavour. Some reviewers seem to be saying that this flake is rather mild, but this is probably due to the Lakeland additives and not so more because of the tobacco itself. I did not find it strong enough in the nicotine department though, but it seems to be quite fulfilling anyway. The appearance of the flakes are simply gorgeous with gold bird eyes scattered all along, but they will benefit from some drying time. As they are very easy to crumble, this tobacco is better smoked as broken flake, so my advise is "don't rub it all out." Not a bad smoke, this isn't, but I'd rather expend my money somewhere else.
photo%2058_zpsi7avssna.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
While G-H claims there is nothing added to this blend one reviewer on TR speculated that the "scent" may come from the tobacco being in a common area of the production facility. I suppose that is possible given how small they are.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I think they run everything through the same equipment so even the non scented stuff picks up a scent. It is definitely lighter than the stuff like Ennerdale Flake. Age also helps dissipate the aroma. Bright CR is one of my favorites from G&H.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
While G-H claims there is nothing added to this blend one reviewer on TR speculated that the "scent" may come from the tobacco being in a common area of the production facility. I suppose that is possible given how small they are.
I quite agree with this. Sometimes, I even wonder myself if this is the case with all the Samuel Gawith's blends and mixtures as well. It does not matter what tobacco you might be smoking: they all have the same undertone. I am not saying this in a bad way, that is, to berate or run down, but it is true.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Given SG/GH's commitment to mid-priced tobacco, I wonder if scent creeping into unscented tobacco merely reflects the lack of funds/time to thoroughly clean the equipment between production of unscented and scented tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.