Brigham, Rock Maple, Charcoal, or Nothing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Got my first Brigham. Wanted one for a while. Its a Chinook 19. Its the last pipe I can buy for a while if I don't wish to die in my sleep.

So I've been curious for some time about the filters. I've read some if the past posts. They cover the wood filters and no filter. As well as cleaning the filters to extend their usage.

But I'm curious to know if anyone has used the charcoal filters. If so what brands work? Which are the best? The worst? Do I need an adapter for the charcoal filters? Do I need an adapter to smoke them without the filter?

After some time passes, maybe a lot of time. I want to add an Algonquin to the collection. Some Brighams have gorgeous grain.

Thanks for reading, also thanks for the advice.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Brigham makes a fabulous pipe. The rock maple filters are great at sucking moisture from the smoke. I only have one, but its one of my favorite pipes.

I've heard of cleaning the filters, but they are cheap enough I just replace them. I've never heard of changing the filter for a canister type, I'm not sure if they would even fit.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kurtbob

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Brigham makes a fabulous pipe. The rock maple filters are great at sucking moisture from the smoke. I only have one, but its one of my favorite pipes.

I've heard of cleaning the filters, but they are cheap enough I just replace them. I've never heard of changing the filter for a canister type, I'm not sure if they would even fit.

Not canister, just charcoal. Or are all charcoal filters canister types?

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I’ve not seen a charcoal filter to fit a Brigham pipe. Do they exist?

I have no idea. That's why I asked. Looks like the info could be helpful.

Are there any filters that can be used instead of the rock maple ones? When I looked at them they look bigger/longer than most filters.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA

Are there any filters that can be used instead of the rock maple ones? When I looked at them they look bigger/longer than most filters.
I don’t think there are any except the rock maple filters. The whole system was designed to be used with the rock maple filters, and isn’t compatible with any other filter system.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Or are all charcoal filters canister types?

Yes? I'm thinking of the 9mm filters used in Vauens for example

50-Pieces-Smoking-Pipe-Filter-9mm-Smoking-Filters-Best-Activated-Carbon-Filters-Disposable-Tobacco-Pipe-Filter.jpg

I don’t think there are any except the rock maple filters

Correct, the Brigham pipes only take a rock maple filter. But it is not as restrictive as other filters I've tried. Here is a photo of the Brigham filter as a comparison.

s-l400.jpg

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The rock maple filter has always been a deal killer with Brigham for me. I don't want one more accessory to buy and store. So Mr. Mike's post suggests, just buy the pipe and omit the rock maple gizmo. Unfortunately, I already have a "gracious plenty" of pipes, so I may or may not ever own a Brigham. Good looking pipes at good prices. Unfortunately they are no longer made in Canada, so they don't check that box for pipes of many nations.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
The rock maple filter has always been a deal killer with Brigham for me. I don't want one more accessory to buy and store. So Mr. Mike's post suggests, just buy the pipe and omit the rock maple gizmo. Unfortunately, I already have a "gracious plenty" of pipes, so I may or may not ever own a Brigham. Good looking pipes at good prices. Unfortunately they are no longer made in Canada, so they don't check that box for pipes of many nations.

I have a couple Missouri meerschaums with filters. I bought a bunch of filters when I got the pipes. They fit a couple other filter pipes I have as well. I only use them in the MM pipes though.

I got the Brigham because I wanted to try their system. And thr pipes really nice. If I can smoke it without a filter then that's great. When they run out I'll go filter less. Or maybe just use the filter occasionally.

Thanks for the info

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
The one I own is the lowest grade model they have, at only 42 bucks.... ;)

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
The one I own is the lowest grade model they have, at only 42 bucks.... ;)

I have a Chinook 19 on the way. I got it on eBay for around $40. Converted from C. It's a Canadian style. Its a nice black rusticated pipe. I look forward to putting it in my rotation. I'm going to try it with/without the maple filters. That way I'll find out which I prefer. Thanks

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I have a Chinook 19 on the way. I got it on eBay for around $40. Converted from C. It's a Canadian style. Its a nice black rusticated pipe. I look forward to putting it in my rotation. I'm going to try it with/without the maple filters. That way I'll find out which I prefer. Thanks
Congrats on the new pipe!

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.

You would have to re work the stem, and the shank to accept the 9mm charcoalfilter.It would be an expensive project if you're not really good at stem work.Brighams are good,solid pipes,I never liked the maple inserts because in my opinion, they restrict the draw too much for my liking.Anyway,the best 9mm filters in my opinion are Blitz,and Dr Perl.Excellent flow characteristics.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I'm sure y'all know that Pipes and cigars is having a sale on Brighams. So if you wanted to get one but was waiting for one to show up on eBay or black. Friday, now's your chance. $36. Merry Christmas.