PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HedleyLamarr

Lurker
Apr 26, 2022
NC
I have given up on the Brigham proprietary filter and Brigham pipes. I bought two new Brigham pipes at the same time that take these filters and could not get the filters out of the stem after just one smoke. Maybe when Brigham pipes were made in Canada instead of Europe the filters/pipes worked better. Had to send both pipes back after trying all kinds of remedies to remove the filters from the stem. I gave up. I have no time or patience for such nonsense. Horrible design. ‘Tried contacting Brigham directly. Result? Not even the courtesy of a reply. I will stand clear of of anything with the Brigham name on it from now on. Stick to pipe brands you can trust like Peterson, Savinelli etc.

Apparently the stuck filter problem is with the cheaper Italian-made Brigham pipes made by Lorenzetti. SmokinPipes is blowing them out for as little as $43. The more expensive Brigham pipes made in France are supposedly a lot better and start in the low $100’s. Buyer beware!! Until all this gets solved I would avoid Brigham pipes altogether.

Last edited:

HedleyLamarr

Lurker
Apr 26, 2022
NC
Sorry that I misspelled Brigham in the headline. The stuck filter problem has been documented - there is even a youtube video on the subject.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I have several not made in Canada Brigham’s. Yes the inserts will be hard to remove if you put much pressure inserting them. Hell, mine smoke great without the inserts so I rarely use them anyway! Sorry you’re having a bad experience with them, I think for the money they’re great pipes!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
No problem here with removals at all, and all my Brighams are either Italian- or French-made. Yes, sometimes they can be a bit tight, but that's user-caused.

Note that the metal head screws into the maple dowel. So, maybe grabbing it with needle nosed pliers and unscrewing it will help with removal without breaking the thin end of the tenon. Then you can use a pipe cleaner to push the dowel out. Now make sure you don't hammer it in next time. ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The rock maple inserts have always been an obstacle to my buying a Brigham. Years ago, I wanted one in order to have a Canadian-made pipe, but even at that point, my intent was to smoke it without the insert, which is one more thing to buy, clean, and keep up with. Otherwise, I like the concept of the pipes, outdoorsy and moderately priced. If I wasn't able to remove the rock maple insert, that would really kill my interest. They're not even Canadian anymore. I'll pass. If I want a French or an Italian pipe, I'll buy one of the traditional brands.

HedleyLamarr

Lurker
Apr 26, 2022
NC
No problem here with removals at all, and all my Brighams are either Italian- or French-made. Yes, sometimes they can be a bit tight, but that's user-caused.

Note that the metal head screws into the maple dowel. So, maybe grabbing it with needle nosed pliers and unscrewing it will help with removal without breaking the thin end of the tenon. Then you can use a pipe cleaner to push the dowel out. Now make sure you don't hammer it in next time. ;)
That is simply not true about “user caused”. Even Brigham told me today they have had prpblems with some runs and they are working the issue as we speak. Pliers, freezing the stem. alcohol…no one should have to resort to. Cleaning your pipe should be relaxing not be a science time consuming science experiment. The problem seems to more of an issue with the less expensive Made in Italy pipes than the more expensive French made Brigham pipes but I cannot say that for sure.

Last edited:

HedleyLamarr

Lurker
Apr 26, 2022
NC
I have several not made in Canada Brigham’s. Yes the inserts will be hard to remove if you put much pressure inserting them. Hell, mine smoke great without the inserts so I rarely use them anyway! Sorry you’re having a bad experience with them, I think for the money they’re great pipes!
Has absolutely nothing to do with how much pressure you place on the filter when inserting in the stem. Some incorrect info is being shared here and elsewhere regaring the stuck filter problem.

Reactions: Nicolasylvain

HedleyLamarr

Lurker
Apr 26, 2022
NC
Chill out man.
I have Brighams from all lines spanning from the 30's to current. The only time this has happened to me was when I applied too much pressure when inserting the filter.
Has nothing to do with how much pressure you exert on the filter when seating in the stem. Stop posting incorrect information. Even Brigham acknowledge the problem with me today although they contend it’s not that widespread but some runs have indeed been problematic.. I suggest if you don’t have the facts don’t post.

Reactions: seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Has nothing to do with how much pressure you exert on the filter when seating in the stem. Stop posting incorrect information. Even Brigham acknowledge the problem with me today although they contend it’s not that widespread but some runs have indeed been problematic.. I suggest if you don’t have the facts don’t post.
I thought they didn't respond to your inquiry? I can only speak of my experience with my 50 plus Brighams. Take it easy on the pressure big dog.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I have given up on the Brigham proprietary filter and Brigham pipes. I bought two new Brigham pipes at the same time that take these filters and could not get the filters out of the stem after just one smoke. Maybe when Brigham pipes were made in Canada instead of Europe the filters/pipes worked better. Had to send both pipes back after trying all kinds of remedies to remove the filters from the stem. I gave up. I have no time or patience for such nonsense. Horrible design. ‘Tried contacting Brigham directly. Result? Not even the courtesy of a reply. I will stand clear of of anything with the Brigham name on it from now on. Stick to pipe brands you can trust like Peterson, Savinelli etc.

Apparently the stuck filter problem is with the cheaper Italian-made Brigham pipes made by Lorenzetti. SmokinPipes is blowing them out for as little as $43. The more expensive Brigham pipes made in France are supposedly a lot better and start in the low $100’s. Buyer beware!! Until all this gets solved I would avoid Brigham pipes altogether.
I have one of their cheap bent billiards and I toyed around with the filter a bit , seems a needle nose pliers does the trick , but eventually I just put it in my burley rotation and chucked the filter as it’s already bent and the burleys I smoke seem to smoke dry anyway. If you want a good cheap pipe try Rossi they are Savinelli seconds and the cheaper ones have no filter but great draw and vulcanite stems , great smokers for the money…

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Has absolutely nothing to do with how much pressure you place on the filter when inserting in the stem. Some incorrect info is being shared here and elsewhere regaring the stuck filter problem.
I can only speak from my personal experiences with Brigham pipes as are you. Different strokes for different folks…..it’s what makes the world go round?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I reckon I might have jumped the gun on blaming it on user error, based on personal experience (Brighams are the most pipes I have of a given brand in my collection) and the deplorable fact that to-day's average user is too easily frustrated and prone to start badmouthing a product and its maker way too soon and too easily. If that's not the case with you, HedleyLamarr, my apologies.

Regardless, the only times I've had issues with the maple distillator system is when I have used too much pressure inserting the filter. I've never had to resort to the pliers, though, but it took some effort pulling the thing out whilst being careful not to break the tenon. Ever since, I'm careful to just push the filter in with my fingerpad and stop when it meets the tenon's edge and I feel ever so light a resistance. I've chalked it up to the way things are and don't sweat it. ?‍♂️

If this is such a big issue for you that is ruining your entire experience, either toss the pipe, keep it as a display piece, or smoke it filterless—one major advantage of the Brigham system is that without the filters the pipes' draught is as open as a filterless cob—an open draught that many smokers prefer—it's nothing like the oleoduct-sized draught of a 9mm filtered-pipe.

HedleyLamarr

Lurker
Apr 26, 2022
NC
I thought they didn't respond to your inquiry? I can only speak of my experience with my 50 plus Brighams. Take it easy on the pressure big dog.
I received a response from Brigham, a text late yesterday afternoon for the record. After multiple attempts but appreciated none the less. “…Pressure big dog” I have to remember that one. ‘Happy to hear of your positive experience.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I have a Brigham. I like it. I keep two distillators going at a time. Smoke with one, clean it and sit it out to dry, insert the other, repeat. Works for me.

Edit to say: sorry you had a bad experience. I assume every factory pipe maker has their duds. shit happens.

Reactions: seanv and kurtbob

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I was at my local B&M yesterday picking up some more tins and I decided to look at their pipes they have at the moment and one was a Brigham Tundra (slightly bent apple shape). Not sure the exact shape number, but I saw this thread the other day and decided to look at it.

The pipe was stamped Italy, I pulled the stem because I was curious about the whole rock maple setup anyway and the size of stuff. The rock maple insert was kind of snug in there, but I was able to pull it. I didn't inspect close enough to see how much room there was in the mortise or if when fully inserting the stem, if that maybe put pressure on the filter and pushed it deeper in the stem (like if the mortise wasn't cut deep enough).

I'm not in the market for a new pipe at the moment, but if I were, that specific one wouldn't be it.

Looking at the pipe, the quality mostly didn't seem bad as far as shape and construction, but the fit and finish left something to be desired. Both sides of the bowl (left and right if you're looking at it from the stem) looked like wear marks or something where the stain was rubbed off or scratched or something, like it had been bouncing around in a bag, but the rustication didn't look dented or scratched, just the stain rubbed off. I don't think that was by design either, and this was a new pipe, not an estate. Maybe it was done that way on purpose, maybe it happened in shipping? I don't know, but none online from that line of pipes look like they're "well worn" on the sides like that.

Not trying to dump on Brigham or anything, I have absolutely no experience with them whatsoever, this was just the first time I ever saw one.

Otherwise though, the bowl looked like it was cut straight, draught hole in the right spot, etc.