PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SuitedAJ

Lurker
Jul 19, 2021
Victoria, BC, Canada
I got into pipe smoking a bit over ten years ago, but in earnest, I consider really getting into it maybe two years ago now... When I first started, I had the pleasure and benefit of highly knowledgeable staff at our best local tobacconists here in Victoria, BC: Goodfellas Cigar Shop. At that time, I was recommended to start with (at the time) Dunhill's Mixture 965 and Brigham's Own and shown a Brigham pipe that, unbeknownst to me, would become my most cherished pipe ever.

This pipe, I much later learned, was a non system pipe, a rare artifact of the early 2000's during an awkward transition by Brigham in which they tried to enter the American markets in earnest and had been advised pipes perceived to be 'filtered' would not sell; thus, my pipe does not take the standard Brigham rock maple filters. Counterintuitively, this pipe has produced the most smooth, velvety smoke of any pipe I've ever smoked, including many other Brighams, and I have never seen any information online about these in any form—they seem to be virtually unknown.

Earlier in the summer, I had the paralysing misfortune of dropping my Brigham non system mid-smoke on a walk with my wife. Thankfully, only the bottom of the bowl suffered a few microdents which Charles Lemon over at dadspipes.com so kindly repaired (super swell dude, highly recommend). I only learned from him, now ten years later, what place in Brigham history my pipe held, which made me appreciate it all the more. (Here's his blog on my repair if anyone's interested: Dent Removal and Some TLC for an Early 2000’s Non-System Brigham 530 - https://dadspipes.com/2021/06/25/dent-removal-and-some-tlc-for-an-early-2000s-non-system-brigham-530/)

After my pipe was repaired and returned, having learned more about it, I went back to Goodfellas and spoke with one of the knowledgeable staff there about my pipe and asking if they knew anything more about these elusive, nearly illusive non system Brighams—and to my sheer blind luck, they not only did, they had another available collecting dust in the back! Needless to say, I pounced on that like a kid in a candy shop, and happily now own two beautiful Brigham non systems.

I am new to these forums, and I fear I don't and likely won't always have a lot to say and post about, but I wanted to introduce myself and a bit about my pipe history that brought me here. I'd say in the last 2-3 months, I've really bloomed in my interests and desire to expand my repertoire. I now have eight lovely pipes, each my precious, each unique in their own way filling a gap or an interest with some aspect that separates it from the rest, and I've built an inventory from 2 to 22 different tobacco blends that I'm slowly going through, based on recommendations and research. (See, I may be a new poster but I'm a decently long-time lurker...)

Please feel free to DM me and say hi and/or share your knowledge and experience about essential must-try blends. I always love to chat and hear from others and get excited at trying new things. D965 and Brigham's Own (now Mr. B's Own) remain my cornerstone favourites but I'm really jiving as of late with Orlik's Golden Slices, Mac Baren's London Burley (2021 limited ed. from spokingpipes.com), and Davidoff's Danish Blend, but I'd love to hear more from others too!

Nice to meet y'all :)PXL_20210714_230836464.jpgPXL_20210714_230855608.jpgPXL_20210714_230911817.jpgPXL_20210714_231025645.jpgPXL_20210714_231033156.jpgPXL_20210714_231045573.jpgPXL_20210731_180749786.jpgPXL_20210731_181004367~2.jpgPXL_20210731_180844672.jpgPXL_20210808_010854989.jpg

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Cool story and a beautiful pipe. Goodfellas is a stand up shop. Ive been numerous times over the years and have always enjoyed my visits. I'll have to make a call and see what they have left for non filtered Brighams. I have about 20 Brighams, mostly patent era but all are filtered. Thanks for the post and enjoy your pipes.

Reactions: SuitedAJ

SuitedAJ

Lurker
Jul 19, 2021
Victoria, BC, Canada
Cool story and a beautiful pipe. Goodfellas is a stand up shop. Ive been numerous times over the years and have always enjoyed my visits. I'll have to make a call and see what they have left for non filtered Brighams. I have about 20 Brighams, mostly patent era but all are filtered. Thanks for the post and enjoy your pipes.
I believe they may still have one left that's partially rusticated! It wasn't my style—I prefer smooth polished briar, but if that's your thing, I think it was about $150!

Reactions: seanv

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've passed on Brighams since they are no longer made in Canada and to avoid the extra filter to clean and replace. I know they can be reused for quite a while, but they are still replaced. I wish they had retained the non-system series. Their designs and pricing are appealing. I think they are good pipes, generally mentioned with pleasure.

Reactions: SuitedAJ

SuitedAJ

Lurker
Jul 19, 2021
Victoria, BC, Canada
I've passed on Brighams since they are no longer made in Canada and to avoid the extra filter to clean and replace. I know they can be reused for quite a while, but they are still replaced. I wish they had retained the non-system series. Their designs and pricing are appealing. I think they are good pipes, generally mentioned with pleasure.
I feel completely the same. Out of curiosity, do you have any photos of your old non-systems? I'm always curious to see what other styles and models were out there :)