PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Hey all, so i'm in the market for a new briar and have been really liking the looks of Brigham's...Also the local B&M has a fair selection.
However i remember reading a little while back that they were coating their bowls. Anyone have any experience with newer Brighams and their coatings? Would it be an option to remove the coating?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have 2, my opinion may not be worth much, but I kind of like the coating. I have 3uncoated pipes & they're a pain to break in. The Brigham coating has built a nice even cake in very short time and I didn't notice any funky taste from it. I make get flamed to death for saying this, but I like the coating.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have 6 or 7 Brigs mate. No problem with ANY of them. Some are new(within 2 yrs), others as old as 20 yrs or more. Each AND every one smokes perfectly. I have a range from the no dots(lower entry), all the way up to a 5 dot, I believe. I have not had a problem with the "coating" on the new ones at all. They all smoke great with, or without the filter. In fact, my 1 dot, Voyager #147, is actually my best smoker. I bought it new last yr sometime and I think I only paid $55.00 for it at a local B&M.

alphaflux

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
United States
I have 3 Brigham pipes. My Mountaineer has a putty like coating but my 2 Acadians have a fine powder coating where you can still see the wood grain.
I think, perhaps, the Italian made pipes (Voyageur, Algonquin and Mountaineer) have the putty coating and the French made one have a light powder coating. I felt a bit uneasy about the putty like coating on my Mountaineer but I didn't detect any significant issue during the break-in period.
FWIW, my break-in period experience with both types of coating was quick and enjoyable. And since I'm not a "power smoker" this is a feature I really like from Brigham pipes.
I enjoy my Acadian 65 so much that I bought a second one to give it some time to rest between smokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.