PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Anybody here with experience with current production Briarworks pipes that can attest to their comfort / smoking qualities? I know they have improved since nixing the Icarus/Neptune lines, and claim to have improved fit and finish (they no longer make them with interchangeable stems). The Briar has always been good quality and Pete and Todd make beautiful pipes under their own names, but curious about comfort and engineering.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
good pipes, good briar, and good engineering. The only knock on them is that the stems are a little thicker than i prefer and this is largely do to the fact that they do this to make them more quickly.
I also think they are slightly higher price then they should be but that is just my opinion. If you can find an unsmoked or lightly smoked estate at a great price then I would say try one out. They are good pipes but they stems just lack a little fine tuning that a completely handmade pipe might give you.

usrkain47

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2017
Tennessee
I second the above comment. I have a bent billiard a friend gave me when he quickly found the hobby didn’t suit him. Engineering is excellent, the pipe smokes like a more expensive pipe in my opinion. I’ll agree the the bit is on the thicker side as well. Overall very impressed even if a bent billiard isn’t really my shape and I rarely reach for it. When I do it smokes great. Also nice there is a quality maker here in my home state.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Just want to add that I absolutely recommend their higher grade pipes.
One of my first of their line was a Neptune (which I’m assuming were discontinued) and then I followed up with one of their signature pipes. I’ll upload some pics at some point but I can say they smoke like a champ and are well made and I have absolutely zero complaints. I’ll buy more as I see some that catch my eye.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Never owned 1 but am increasingly tempted by 1. As a lover of plump bent Rhodesians, their bullmoose is really catching my eye. At first, thought it might be too plump for me but not so. It will now be #2 on my wish list which might take quite a while to get to given how long it will likely be before I get #1.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@irish I too have been tempted by the rhodesian,so much so one is currently winging its way over the Atlantic to me.So I am interested in others thoughts on the pipes

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I scored a poker from them when I visited a few months ago.
I don't have any super high end stuff to compare with, but mine smokes as well as my Savinelli and Stanwell. I really like the more natural finish on it and the straight line carving.
I didn't think I would like the translucent, amber colored stem but it has grown on me.
My only criticism is that there was some sort of snag where the tenon and stem met inside. A pipe cleaner would go in smoothly and snag a bit when trying to retract. This eventually led to a collection of small pipe cleaner fluff balls lodging in the area and restricting the airflow.
I got in there with a straightened paper clip and cleared it out. I must have gotten whatever was snagging, as well, as the issue has ceased.
It's drilled straight and centered, fairly comfortable to clench, rarely gurgles and has good heat management for its size.
And, it's made in 'Merica...
poker-600x337.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Wanted to bump this thread to see what the current consensus is with this manufacturer. I have been checking out their site and a few of their designs have caught my eye. The pricing does seem to be approaching that of more “established” pipe makers and I am a bit unsure whether or not it’s worth the plunge.

I just really don’t see what the apprehension would be. If you like the shape, I’m sure that it would burn well for you. Plus, they are very cheaply priced for what you get.
I don't own one, but then the shapes don’t really appeal to me. But, I have had their rep come talk to our pipe club, and I’ve been able to see the pipes in person. Seem like great pipes, if you like those shapes.
Their fans are little annoying, but it speaks volumes that they do have such an annoying ass fan base. :puffy:

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
They're constantly showing up in the Estate section of SP.com, in numbers, which give me pause on the brand. But at the price point, I may pull the plug one day to see why so many get rid of 'em.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Much like Leacha, I use availability of estates as a heuristic for quality of a pipe. But I was determined to get a Briarworks pipe early on, because I grew up near Nashville, and actually used to work and go to church in the town where their factory is currently located (Columbia, Tennessee).
I own one Briarworks pipe: a C61 sandblasted Dublin. I'm really happy with it. Like others have said, the stem is a little chunky (I'll be buying a saddle stem next time), but it's a good solid smoker, and I like their shaping in the classic collection.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I have had their Billiard for 2 years and this November got a Prince. I like them both a lot! I’ve smoked my billiard a lot, and have around 5-6 smokes in my Prince so far. I’m actually smoking some old Stonehaven in it right now! To me, the Prince was made to “sip”. It almost has a churchwarden feel. No way is the bit chunky. It’s balanced great, draws great, and has what I think is the best curved bit lines in my collection. I always look forward to pulling this one off the rack.

c3c147b0-b9b8-48a7-bd75-b4294b8b727f-600x449.jpg

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I agree, the lines on their prince are beautiful. It has been catching my eye for a while now. I'll buy one in a moment of weakness. The right one hasn't caught my eye yet.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I own a couple of Briar Works pipes. I could not resist for a couple of reasons. First, the pipes were beautifully constructed an I loved the sandblast on both of them. I personally thought the smoking qualities were on a par with any top shelf pipe costing hundreds more. I did not notice any issue with too thick stems, but then, I'm not a clencher, and there was no issue there either. I personally believe that current production BriarWorks pipes are a diamond in the rough and would highly recommend one to anyone.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I was fortunate enough to purchase mine from their factory south of Nashville. If you go in there when Pete is there and tell him a specific pipe that you are looking for, he’ll go in the back and bring out whatever they have. I had like 10 Princes to chose from.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
I am having trouble finding the prince on their site . Can someone post a link and if that’s not allowed can you DM me a link ?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.