PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Does anyone here have a Briarworks or Moonshine poker? If so, how do you like it? Do you have any pictures of them? I'm more drawn to the Briarworks Classic line myself, although I'm a touch leery about the shorter stem on them (see my thread on pipe length). I know they used to have a longer stemmed version, but they seem to have discontinued that a while back.

Reactions: kurtbob

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I got my BriarWorks Poker 5 years ago, assembled by Pete himself during an in person visit I made.

1663783967436.png

It has been a great smoker and I use it for my various burley blends.

If I had to offer any critique, the stem is a bit hard and may limit clenching. When I first got it, there was a little piece of acrylic inside the airway near the mortise. It caused fluff from pipe cleaners to accumulate until air flow was restricted. I had to dig them out, but once I discovered the offending piece and removed it, no problems.

It never burns hot or wet and has been pretty easy to maintain.

HERE is the story of its acquisition, if you'd like to get to know BriarWorks a bit better.

It's a good, solid daily smoker.

1663784415474.png

92degrees

Lurker
Feb 25, 2019
I had one for a couple of years (Moonshine) with the copper band. It was a great looking pipe. I found it very heavy to clench, if that's your thing, but otherwise it was a great pipe.

Reactions: kurtbob and jiminy

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I had one for a couple of years (Moonshine) with the copper band. It was a great looking pipe. I found it very heavy to clench, if that's your thing, but otherwise it was a great pipe.
Interesting. The SP links to the three BriarWorks pokers all hover around 40g, which I thought was fairly light given the looks. Mind you, I didn't check out the Moonshine ones, and I know they are a bit different

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
If I had to offer any critique, the stem is a bit hard and may limit clenching
That isn't a saddle stem, is it? From what I've seen of their recent options, they are all saddle stems now. I don't clench too much for my straight pipes, which is part of the appeal of a proper sitting poker.
It's a good, solid daily smoker.
Glad that it is a good smoker. I've heard good things about their drilling as well

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That isn't a saddle stem, is it? From what I've seen of their recent options, they are all saddle stems now.

Mine was to be a saddle step, also, but since I was there as it was being assembled, I was able to request the tapered stem.

Pete advised me that the slightly lower weight of the saddle stem made it a more stable sitter and he was right. It sits OK, if carefully placed on a level surface. But just a degree or two of tilt can make it want to tip back.

I don't mind, though, because I like the look of the taper much more.

If you really prefer the taper stem, they may be able to substitute if you ask.

1663963375860.png

Reactions: jiminy and kurtbob

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Pete advised me that the slightly lower weight of the saddle stem made it a more stable sitter and he was right. It sits OK, if carefully placed on a level surface. But just a degree or two of tilt can make it want to tip back.

I don't mind, though, because I like the look of the taper much more

Oddly enough, I enjoy the saddle stem look more on pokers, but a tapered stem on virtually everything else. Not sure why that is haha.

But a poker that sits steadily is my main concern. I have a poker right now that smokes nicely, but it does not come close to sitting as it should

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I love the look of their rustication. Very different than most. How does it feel?

Is that a pre-Briarworks Moonshine pipe? The metal band looks really nice
Let’s just say, it’s not gonna slip out of your hand. It’s super light, probably on par with a meer.

Reactions: jiminy

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’ve always been tempted by them, but the chambers are too large for me. Not that I don’t like large chambers at times, I just have plenty of them already.

If they were the same length, a touch lighter, and say 1.4 x .7-ish I’d have bought one by now. A smooth one most likely, as they seem very keen on getting decent birdseye out of a lot of those blocks. Not as much a fan of their blasting, or rustication in general.