PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I personally think it's a pretty good idea. When I open a tin to smoke I jar it so this cuts out a step for me. Also I've yet to break a jar and if you were to ask anyone I work with they will all say I have butter fingers. ha ha

Mar 1, 2014
I hope they put Haddo's in jars.

Thus far I've ordered 2 tins of C&D packaged aromatic and both were dry when I opened them. As an international customer return shipping is a nightmare so now I just avoid C&D aromatics.

Sutliff is great, McClelland is great, but for C&D the jars are probably an improvement.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Okay, just arrived, and I've unpacked and started smoking. The package was a heavy guage cardboard box, and its contents, two jars of Bacon Old Fashioned and an MM Mark Twain were thickly wrapped in multiple turns of bubble wrap. Each parcel was also thickly wrapped in brown shipping paper and the box was over packed with the same brown paper to ensure a snug fit of the parcels and to stop any movement. Very impressed here, and everything arrived in one piece.
Review Time

The tin note, or in this case, "jar note" is citrus with heavy bourbon. Makes me think of a well seasoned whiskey barrel. The cavendish really helps fill out the body of the smoke, and I suspect it to be unsweetened as I am getting no vanilla, but a nice bitterness. Retrohaling really lets the bourbon shine through, and the interplay of the Virginia's sweetness with the Dark Fired's smoky-earthiness really simulates an almost smoked pork, or even bacon if you stretch your imagination a bit. No discernable bite, and actually quite enjoyable in a cob, and coming from me about an aro, that's high praise. Probably not for everyone, and I wouldn't call it an all day smoke, but not bad. Four out of five here, and it would probably make a great after dinner smoke.
Duane

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I understand the idea of selling a blend in jars,what I don't understand is the apparent practice of buying tin,opening the tin and doing so for the sole purpose of

transferring the contents to a jar to further age. I don't mean buying a new blend, trying it and then jarring it. That I get. It sounds like some buy five tins and transfer them all to jars.

Mike S.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
The majority of tobacco in my "cellar" is in the original tins. I do worry some about the rectangular tins and have those in a secondary container.
I like this approach and the ability to reuse the jar. I don't have to worry about recycling a tin or finding some other creative use for it.
If this catches on, I wonder if suppliers, like SPC, will offer the jar as an option for bulk tobacco purchases?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Same here, my tins stay sealed until I'm ready to smoke them, and the unused contents are transferred to a jar in my open rotation.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
"You guys go 'head and enjoy your beard inspired blend.
#hipsterfail#"

bigpond, I've had my beard since 1972. Growing it had nothing to do with being a "hipster" which didn't even exist back then and everything to do with serving on an icebreaker off the coast of Alaska. I personally resent the tarring of all beard wearers with the term "hipster".
I don't worry about the shipping costs when I buy online because I tend to purchase enough to get the free shipping. On the other hand, I prefer tins of tobacco and I do take tobacco I'm not going to smoke within a month or two and move it into mason jars.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
On my fourth bowl of BOF, and even after my initial thoughts in the above review, I'm liking this blend more. Will probably add a few more jars to my cellar, and try BriarWorks other offerings.
As for the hipster nonsense, I wear a long mustache at the request of my daughters, and the jarred tobacco is just a way of BW setting a "maker's mark" for their product. For those thinking these things to be "hipster", just remember that there are alot more people that think that sticking a pipe in your jaw is a hipster move.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
the jarred tobacco is just a way of BW setting a "maker's mark" for their product.
I think this is correct, but it's clear what audience in America buys most for the ironic packaging.
I like tins. I'd be interested to see if putting the blend in a jar keeps it any fresher, but none of these blends really interest me from the description.
Russ had said here, IIRC, that P&C was working on its packing/shipping issues. I've never known him to lie or tell a convenient partial truth, but I also know how much time packing can eat up. So there's probably a skillful compromise going on there, balancing efficiency against the need to insulate tins and jars against the basketball players of the postal service.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
See my review post above. SPC packed my box so tight that nothing moved about. Haven't had a whole lot of luck with P&C.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Great review. I'm hoping for another test order from P&C one of these days, but I've been impressed with SPC packing in the past.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I've had my beard since 1972
I have not had mine nearly as long, but it predates the arrival of hipsters in my neck of the woods. Actually, I am more often told I look like a Duck Dynasty dude. Except when the commentator is a knows-no-better kid, I get a little annoyed at the comparison. Most of the people who draw the comparison seem to think they are paying me a compliment, and that somehow makes the comments worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.