Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

C

Corcoran-Rooney

I've realised I like pipes with smaller bowls. But I also prefer briar over MM (which as far as I understand it have the smallest bowls). Any suggestions?

Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First, don't trust any generalities on which brands have small bowls; always check the specs to get the actual dimensions. If a retailer doesn't give specs, phone them and ask. Do you want really small pipes like the Peterson Belgique, or just smaller, like a Group 3? French brands like BC tend to have modestly smaller bowls, but check the specs. I have a compact Genod bent egg that has a lot more bowl that it seems. The Rossi Piccolo is quite small, as are other lines in other brands. Ropp makes a number of pipes made from vintage stummels that are smaller. But always check the specs.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Ashton makes some excellent small x size bowls. I have a brindle that is super craggy that I smoked last night.

ashton-brindle-x.jpg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
What are you classing as small?
the reason I ask is it seems to me that American's seem to like large chamber sizes and what may be small to you is a medium to someone else.
Most of my old britwood pipes have chambers 3/4" x 1.5" which I would call medium but you may say small.
The mention above of Barling pipes they had a size S-M (small-medium) that seems to have a chamber diameter as small as 5/8" x 1.25"

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Briarworks OR01 stubby apple. My pinky is a tight fit in the bowl and only goes down to slightly above the first knuckle. It holds pretty much exactly the amount of tobacco you'd stuff into a king size RYO tube. I've also got an aluminum/briar Comet bowl for one of my Kirsten Ds that holds about that much tobacco, but those aren't easy to come by.

Big Ben has the Tattoo and Vauen has the Quixx, but I don't have any personal experience with either, and they look more like pot pipes than tobacco pipes, so I wouldn't rock either in, like, the South or something unless I wanted cops to give me a hard time.

I used to be into small bowls, but I'm also the sort that likes to break down a pipe and clean it after each smoke, and going through all that for a 10 minute bowl started being more of a pain in the ass than the smoke was worth, so I moved to cigarillos or rollies for short smokes--I prefer the former, but the latter is sometimes more contextually appropriate depending on the social situation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
C

Corcoran-Rooney

First, don't trust any generalities on which brands have small bowls; always check the specs to get the actual dimensions. If a retailer doesn't give specs, phone them and ask. Do you want really small pipes like the Peterson Belgique, or just smaller, like a Group 3? French brands like BC tend to have modestly smaller bowls, but check the specs. I have a compact Genod bent egg that has a lot more bowl that it seems. The Rossi Piccolo is quite small, as are other lines in other brands. Ropp makes a number of pipes made from vintage stummels that are smaller. But always check the specs.
The Peterson Belgique is a great shout. I have looked it up and it looks like the right pipe.

Reactions: OzPiper
C

Corcoran-Rooney

What are you classing as small?
the reason I ask is it seems to me that American's seem to like large chamber sizes and what may be small to you is a medium to someone else.
Most of my old britwood pipes have chambers 3/4" x 1.5" which I would call medium but you may say small.
The mention above of Barling pipes they had a size S-M (small-medium) that seems to have a chamber diameter as small as 5/8" x 1.25"
I would say my MM Huck Finn is small. I like the length of time it takes me to smoke it. I rather have two of three of these a night as oppsed to one bigger sized bowl.

Reactions: MARC52 and Toast