PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
I sorted through my mini bowls and found one with a few too many pits and decided to cut it down to use a liner in a Bamboo sitter. A single hole is drilled through the bottom, which matches with a hole in the node. The briar is floated 1/8 inch from the bottom of the node. Let see if this solves my burning problem.
I also incorporated a metal tenon, hidden, for the stem.
j20PS2c.jpg

qbowDLc.jpg

aQmn1tp.jpg

Can't wait to break it in and see how it works.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Nice! I have been considering using old estate pipes as a source of material for Falcon bowls. Now I need to look at Bamboo/Briar Falcon bowls too.

So, did you have to plug the draft hole in the bowl, or?

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Ken. Yes. Briar, the new meerschaum?
I did not plug the original draft hole. I believe it's proximity to the side wall will clog up. Also, the side walls are what contains the silica substrate that does not burn as easily as the node floor. It's all part of the test.
saltedplug. I'm trying. Flying without instruments, here. This looks promising. I could get a low grade block and cut my own, or just buy 99 cent specials on eBay and cut them down.
I have my work cut out, there's about dozen pipes I like to fix/upgrade.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Update. I just finished the first break in bowl. Just a pinch in the bottom. A blend of Captain black and OHM Bold. Which has been drying all day. Packed right, and yes, I smoked it slowly and finished it to the bottom. Wow. The result was awesome. The pipe became warm, but not hot. The taste of that aged briar. Mmmm, (I see now why it's favored).
Peering into the bowl, I can see the initial char or cake starting and I still see a clean node surface through the hole in the bottom. The draw was perfect. I may have a new favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.