PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I've been humoring the idea for a long time to invest in a mid-grade fountain pen and practice my penmanship. I occasionally write letters to friends, and having a "proper" pen for it--to say nothing of the proper handwriting--would be ideal. I do find the world of fountain pens a little intimidating, however. But I felt the same way about pipes, and here I am.

That all being said, those briar pens are cleeeaaan. I love them.
Check out the Lamy pens. Great economical intro to fountain pens.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Jinhao pens are an even cheaper entry to fountain pens and they use standard nibs. This allows upgrading or changing the line width if you desire. They’re good utilitarian pens available on Amazon in many styles. Lamys are nicer but a bit pricier.

I have several Jinhaos in my fleet and no complaints, especially for the price. Cheap enough to lose and not get too P.O.’ed.

Then there’s inks.... I’ll just say Noodlers and leave it at that.

Love the briar pens. So very nice. Keep making them.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I like fountain pens, it's what I learned to write with back in the day in Catholic school with then $1 Schaefer cartridge pens. I've stopped collecting modern pens as too many of them require nib tuning or other adjustments to get them to write properly. One pen has been to a nibmeister on multiple occasions, nothing seems to help -- it's a closet queen.

There was a guy who frequented the DC Pen Show that made pens with wood barrels and caps. I don't recall what woods he used though.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Nice looking pen!

I'm a hobby calligrapher and enjoy it a lot. In my early 30s I realized I'd forgotten how to write in cursive and re-taught myself. I've also worked pretty hard to get down Tolkien's Hobbit-like script; though mine varies from his a bit, it's pretty recognizable by people and it gets a lot of attention. I have a lot of fun with it.

I have tried several fountain pens over the years, believing the perfect nib was out there somewhere. I spent a lot of money and got very frustrated and eventually got rid of them all. I went back to my Sharpie pens, which are cheap and actually work very well once the nib is dialed in a bit. But I still dream of the perfect chisel nib to make those sharp, even lines! I'm open to suggestions.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
That is a good looking pen!

I love fountain pens. And it seems like the types of peope that like pipes also like fountain pens.