PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I am surprised someone has not made inexpensive wooden replacement bowls for "Sherlock Holmes" style calabash pipes. While certainly not the best alternative, I am sure many broken meer bowls are not replaced due to the cost. Seems, all you need is a lathe and a hunk of briar and off you go. Am I wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am surprised someone has not made inexpensive wooden replacement bowls for "Sherlock Holmes" style calabash pipes. While certainly not the best alternative, I am sure many broken meer bowls are not replaced due to the cost. Seems, all you need is a lathe and a hunk of briar and off you go. Am I wrong?
I see two locations right now with replacement bowls from $34 to $40.

ohfatty

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
Exactly ! Where are the $12 to $15 replacement bowls ? Obviously not for purists, but an option, for someone, that $40 has several more urgent destinations.

Reactions: ofafeather

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Exactly ! Where are the $12 to $15 replacement bowls ? Obviously not for purists, but an option, for someone, that $40 has several more urgent destinations.
So someone that spent $200+ for a calabash is going to fret over a $40 bowl?? Even good briar blocks would cost that and briar isn't absorbent so it would be defeating the purpose of the meer bowl to begin with. I have seen morta calabash pipes with briar bowls though but I doubt their smoking characteristics mirror the genuine article.

Reactions: ofafeather