PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Gents,

Bought this bent bulldog on EBeast. Seller described it as a Breeden's (see last photo for stamping), but stamping is so weak I am curious how he came to that conclusion. Evidently, Barling and Sasieni made pipes for Taylor and Breeden, and later for Breeden. I have seen a Barling and also a Sasieni that resembles this shape. "209" (photo #4) is visible on the opposite side of the shank. I've not seen that line up with either Sasieni or Barling. Any help is much appreciated!

IMG_2869 2.jpegIMG_6891 2.jpegIMG_0841 2.jpegIMG_3772 2.jpegIMG_5774 2.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sounds like pure speculation on the seller's part. 209 is not a Sasieni shape number. COM would tell a lot, but I guess that is not legible.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The model number is not where Barling would have placed it, nor is the stamp like a Barling stamp. I can look through my model number list to see if anything turns up. When Barling stamped the dealer's name on a pipe they also included their own Logo stamp and other identifiers. The only period where they didn't use their logo stamp was in the very early 20th century, and at that time they did not stamp model numbers on their pipes. This may have been made by another fine maker, like Comoy, who provided pipes to dealers without their name stamped on the pipe.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
The model number is not where Barling would have placed it, nor is the stamp like a Barling stamp. I can look through my model number list to see if anything turns up. When Barling stamped the dealer's name on a pipe they also included their own Logo stamp and other identifiers. The only period where they didn't use their logo stamp was in the very early 20th century, and at that time they did not stamp model numbers on their pipes. This may have been made by another fine maker, like Comoy, who provided pipes to dealers without their name stamped on the pipe.

Much appreciated, sable!

Status
Not open for further replies.