PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I often clench for fairly long periods while smoking. I think that means by default I am using the breathe method. Breathing in and out through my nose, not deliberately blowing into or drawing on the pipe, but the airflow naturally going back on forth. I exhale smoke every few breathes. Is there anything more to the breathe method than that. Seems impossible to smoke while clenching without it.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Not really much else than that. I rarely remove the pipe from my mouth throughout an entire bowl if I’m working with my hands in the shop. I agree, clenching is probably what allowed me to finally figure out how to smoke a pipe. When I first started, I was taking long drags and heating up the tobacco way too much. Your breathing will kind of provide a good cadence as well. I usually take three or four breaths, then expel the smoke. Whatever works, as long as it’s not overheating the tobacco or burning your tongue.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Occasionally retrohale, if that's something you do. They suggest gentle blow to the pipe now and then, but not sure why.
I don’t. Breathe back through the pipe that is. Well, a tiny trickle of air is bound to be pushed back through the pipe incidentally to the act of breathing out through the nose, but I don’t intentionally put air back through the pipe. It’s a good way to induce a wet smoke in my opinion. ?‍♂️

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don’t. Breathe back through the pipe that is. Well, a tiny trickle of air is bound to be pushed back through the pipe incidentally to the act of breathing out through the nose, but I don’t intentionally put air back through the pipe. It’s a good way to induce a wet smoke in my opinion. ?‍♂️
I do blow back occasionally. Only to check ember's still there. Haven't really noticed much difference if I don't. Read somewhere it's to keep ember going, but I don't buy that.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I do blow back occasionally. Only to check ember's still there. Haven't really noticed much difference if I don't. Read somewhere it's to keep ember going, but I don't buy that.
Yeah, whatever works. I think everyone has their own little idiosyncrasies with their pipe that work for them. If the tobacco tastes good and neither the pipe nor tongue are scorched, then it’s probably working. ?

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
I recently learned about the breath method, and haven't had a bad smoke since. I do blow back as I breath out and take sips as I breath in. Every so often I will take a long slow draw and retrohale. Sounds like you're doing it right.

I watched Muttonchop's videos on breath method, there are 3 of them. I thought he explained it well.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yeah, whatever works. I think everyone has their own little idiosyncrasies with their pipe that work for them. If the tobacco tastes good and neither the pipe nor tongue are scorched, then it’s probably working. ?
Just more likely to heat up the pipe or ember. I only do this a bit when it’s going out.