PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Like the title says. It seems that when I clench the pipe in my teeth and breath naturally thru my nose, I am getting large amounts of smoke in my mouth everytime I breath thru my nose, causing my mouth to always be full of smoke, and seemingly making my bowls go faster. I'm not complaining about this really, but I am wondering if I am doing it wrong maybe, or if I might just have a messed up sinus that lets too much smoke thru? I have had issues with it for years.

does anyone else notice the breath method making the tobacco go away faster?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You need to somehow separate breathing and drawing in. Look up "circular breathing". You breath through nose, and it's separate thing from passively taking in the smoke.

Reactions: OlJawBone

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
That's not the breath technique. I plug the bit with the side of my tongue to avoid this accidental puffing.
oh I see. then I am missing a key aspect of the technique. I was under the impression it was just letting the breath thru your nose letting smoke into your mouth because of some sinus vacuum action happening in your mouth, but it makes sense that you have to plug the bit with your tongue.
You need to somehow separate breathing and drawing in. Look up "circular breathing". You breath through nose, and it's separate thing from passively taking in the smoke.

flashbacks to learning that I'd never be a truly talented saxophone player

Mar 1, 2014
Plugging the button was never part of the principle.

The idea is to stop consciously drawing with your mouth at all.
It's the closest you can get to having a pipe in your mouth and never drawing smoke out of the pipe.

The rise and fall of your diaphragm as you breathe changes the shape of your mouth, you use the change in body pressure from expanding your lungs as the only mechanism for drawing smoke.
The muscles in your mouth should never move.

Make sure you have a blend that burns easily. Another way of putting it is you're trying to let your pipe go out all the time, so you need the tobacco to burn well enough that you still don't actually re-light every two minutes.

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
oh I see. then I am missing a key aspect of the technique. I was under the impression it was just letting the breath thru your nose letting smoke into your mouth because of some sinus vacuum action happening in your mouth, but it makes sense that you have to plug the bit with your tongue.

flashbacks to learning that I'd never be a truly talented saxophone player
Fortunately, you don't have to make music while breath smoking.

Mar 1, 2014
I'll add some anecdote to maybe help give the right impression.

Some of my favorite bowls of tobacco are smoked while sitting back in a reclining lawn chair and with churhwarden resting on my belly, and then I basically just try to take a nap with the pipe in my mouth.
(Of course falling asleep with a pipe in your mouth while indoors is extremely dangerous so be careful where you are if you try to totally relax with a pipe.)

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Plugging the button was never part of the principle.

The idea is to stop consciously drawing with your mouth at all.
It's the closest you can get to having a pipe in your mouth and never drawing smoke out of the pipe.

The rise and fall of your diaphragm as you breathe changes the shape of your mouth, you use the change in body pressure from expanding your lungs as the only mechanism for drawing smoke.
The muscles in your mouth should never move.

Make sure you have a blend that burns easily. Another way of putting it is you're trying to let your pipe go out all the time, so you need the tobacco to burn well enough that you still don't actually re-light every two minutes.
I wasn't completely clear. I'm not saying it is part of the principle, just a solution if you find you are freight training your pipe trying to figure it out.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Mar 1, 2014
I wasn't completely clear. I'm not saying it is part of the principle, just a solution if you find you are freight training your pipe trying to figure it out.
I agree it does sound like a decent strategy for some circumstances, it just shouldn't ever be applicable to this specific situation, a person needs to change everything about their approach if the pipe is running hot while attempting to use the most relaxed method of pipesmoking.

Reactions: crashthegrey

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
I think it’s supposed to be a cadence thing. You’re probably sidestreaming the smoke. Try expanding the cavity in your mouth as you inhale through your nose without mouth breathing. Then exhale through both your nose and mouth as you close down the cavity of your mouth.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
I personally prefer to take small sips as I exhale through my nose, then slowly release the smoke in my mouth as I inhale through my nose. My sense of smell is much better entering my nose than exiting my nose.

Reactions: anotherbob