Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I thought a "pig in a blanket" was as described in the article, a hard shell pastry.

But, the "king" of the various pigs in a blanket is the one wrapped in bacon. I want one a dem! Now! Followed by another and then another... until my heart shudders from the assault.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And now for something completely different! Devonites have claimed to have invented the (Cornish) pastie!!

_96628884_pasty.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, pig in a blanket relies on a hot dog! AFAIK, no Brit would deign to eat a hot dog, which brings up the question: Is the hot dog not a sausage?? What distinguishes them?
Trader Joe hasn't ever invented a food product. Pigs in blankets existed long before the stores were opened. They are pretty darn tasty.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
The frankfurter is indeed a sausage and must be put on a certain style bun to become a legit hotdog. I believe simple usage determined that the sausage may be sold as a "hotdog."
A frankfurter is not a hotdog until surrounded by a poppy seed bun, dressed in bright green relish, mustard, mayo, with other condiments such as sport peppers, cucumber, possibly sauerkraut, and never, ever touched by catsup.* Ketchup? (Children may add catsup/ketchup but, children have not developed the discerning taste which is required for the proper enjoyment of a well built hotdog.) It is at it's best when a Vienna Sausage wiener is used. The last is only my opinion of course. Nathan's isn't bad as are most other "Kosher" all-beef franks/wieners with skins/casings which snap when pierced by the tooth. Turkey, tofu or chicken do not a hot dog fit wiener make! Pork makes... pork sausage, good on a bun to be sure. But, not a hotdawg by the stretch of anyone's imagination.
And yes! The venerable "hotdog" is acceptable fare to many British citizens.
There is no room for debate here! Let the debate begin!
* Properly, one dresses their frank not the bun. Do not dress the bun. Dressing the bun is considered to be boorish behavior, or possibly, even a serious faux pas in many locales. Dressing the bun can and has led to social ostracism in certain circles.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'll have to come back to digest more of what you wrote, Warren, but since you brought up buns, I have to insist my buns be toasted. Or at least soft and warm. I can't stand cold buns, dressed or not!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I believe buns may be either from the package or steamed and still provide a proper experience. (Truth be known, and this is only for your eyes, I've been known to grill a frank and the bun. Not of word of this to anyone please!)
I've always believed in warming up the buns but, that's a subject for another thread. edit: More properly another board entirely I suspect.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Jay, didn't the BBC have a reputation for journalistic excellence not long ago? Most likely it went downhill when all the other news agencies did on either side of the Atlantic. About fifteen years ago I used to listen to shortwave radio at work. I was in an office with a window and I ran a simple long wire antenna out the window and along a long azalea hedge. I would pull in the BBC, Radio Netherlands and several other stations. The journalism was just outstanding back then, especially Radio Netherlands and their documentaries. Unfortunately, the internet, budget cuts and a changing audience changed BBC reporting and RN dropped those wonderful documentaries they put together. Call me a Luddite, but I miss listening in on shortwave-- seems the mystery has been taken away. Regardless, seems less effort is put towards journalistic efforts.

Regards, Jay.

Eric

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"didn't the BBC have a reputation for journalistic excellence not long ago?"
They did indeed Eric, a worldwide reputation but now sadly extremely biased.
I also used to listen to short wave radio, in fact I still have three valved (tubed) old sets. One is from an old RN warship! As a kid I used to collect QSL cards from all over the world (still have them) and spent many hours scanning those bands. I did eventually go digital and bought a JRC NRD receiver with all the bells and whistles but the magic had gone so I sold it.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.