PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

St. David Pipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2023
Western Pennsylvania
youtube.com
Thoughts on the following would be most appreciated. This has been discussed countless times on the YTPC (YouTube pipe community), I’m always interested who has my views.

I do not break in a new pipe. I was taught by my mentor in 1979 just pack and puff the new pipe. He said if it was a good pipe it would break itself in.

I do not dedicate a pipe to any blend. I smoke 14 pipes daily and have for decades. Never bothered with it.

Finally packing. I pack light but other than that no nonsense methods! I find the Frank method most amusing and others are as well. I’m an old Codger! Thanks for commenting. -Dave-

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This has been discussed countless times on the YTPC
That in and of itself should invalidate 99% of the pipe information shared there.

I do blend specific pipes just to not cross contaminate flavors but not because one pipe smokes differently from another. The pairings are based solely on whimsy. Only 15 of my pipes are dedicated as such.

I smoke all of my pipes new and old the same.

St. David Pipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2023
Western Pennsylvania
youtube.com
I just go ahead and smoke a new pipe as normal. Thet is, except for my most recent, a Savinelli 606 EX. It has a coating that irritates me and a large bowl, so I've started off with half bowls on that one.
I just go ahead and smoke a new pipe as normal. Thet is, except for my most recent, a Savinelli 606 EX. It has a coating that irritates me and a large bowl, so I've started off with half bowls on that one.
Thanks for commenting

Reactions: UncleRasta

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
It’s been so long since I’ve bought anything but an estate pipe, I honestly have no memory of what my break-in ritual is.

I dedicate pipes to specific blend types, except for a handful of floaters that I’ll use for anything (other than Lakelands).

I do not fret about filling. I put tobacco in the little hole and strike a match.

St. David Pipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2023
Western Pennsylvania
youtube.com
That in and of itself should invalidate 99% of the pipe information shared there.

I do blend specific pipes just to not cross contaminate flavors but not because one pipe smokes differently from another. The pairings are based solely on whimsy. Only 15 of my pipes are dedicated as such.

Thanks for your opinion.

St. David Pipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2023
Western Pennsylvania
youtube.com
It’s been so long since I’ve bought anything but an estate pipe, I honestly have no memory of what my break-in ritual is.

I dedicate pipes to specific blend types, except for a handful of floaters that I’ll use for anything (other than Lakelands).

I do not fret about filling. I put tobacco in the little hole and strike a match.
I appreciate the reply

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I see absolutely no benefit to smoking a new pipe differently from the rest of the pipes. Over 100 pipes, and all of them had their first smoke packed and smoked just like the last smoke. I actually love the way a brand new bare wood pipe smokes. It gets the briar aroma from that pipe set into my DNA.
I agree. I’m in the stuff some tobacco in there and set it on fire camp. Plenty of time to adjust as you learn the idiosyncrasies of each pipe. For those who like other ways, I salute you! Carry on!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I don't treat a new pipe any different than an old pipe, with the exception of using wet paper towels to wipe out the Peterson coating in the chamber.
I also don't dedicate pipes to genres or blends. I just load, light and smoke.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I see absolutely no benefit to smoking a new pipe differently from the rest of the pipes. Over 100 pipes, and all of them had their first smoke packed and smoked just like the last smoke. I actually love the way a brand new bare wood pipe smokes. It gets the briar aroma from that pipe set into my DNA.
This is exactly my view also!

St. David Pipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2023
Western Pennsylvania
youtube.com

Thanks for sharing!