PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
Just got a sample of 1776 Old Dominion from Jack Peterson of Sterling Tobacco.

After hearing so many favorable things about Sterling, I wrote and got a sample of Jack's recommendation.
I don't think I've ever smoked anything so mild in my life. I really liked the cut of the tobacco. Once lit, it was very low maintenance, only requiring a light tamp and a patient puff to the finish. I'm now sure I'll be trying Jack's other offerings now.
Old Dominion was nice, but maybe too mild. I like to start my smoking day with aromatics , frequently saving the VA flakes and English mixtures for later in the day.
Which of Sterling's or anyone's quality aros might be a good morning smoke? I hear a lot abt Sweet Briar. Thanks for any help.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I'm a burley fan, so I like Sterling's Double Eagle, which has a light vanilla scent, and the nic hit is negligible. I find it tastier than Old Dom, though I wouldn't use it in a pipe I smoke straight Virginia's with. His White Tail Aromatic has a caramel note, but I think more nicotine. I really like the 1776 Tavern Blend, but it is a Balkan style, probably too much for a morning smoke.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
The only time I will smoke aromatics is in the morning. That is when I have 1Q. It is great for driving to work, but will burn holes in dress pants if you are not careful.
That happened to me this morning. I had to turn around, and go home and change. Throwing good pants away was also uncool.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
As for me I rarely have any difficulty deciding what to smoke in the mornings.

Because I will generally pack my bowl the night before.

It's almost a nightly routine for me to prepare a DGT bowl.

As for which blend I choose... I know I prefer something approaching the strength of my morning cup o' Joe.

So, I like something like G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight or some carefully selected Dottle from the day's smoke mixed with a Codger Blend or 1Q.

I like my morning smoke to be strong, because when I first awaken mornings I usually don't know if I should sh*t or wind my watch...

It obviously works because I've never confused the two.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I'm working on my 1st Sterling. I was sent Honey smoke based on 2 of my likes (Sugar Barrel and Middleton Apple). So far so good! I would like to try the Double Eagle as well.
My typical morning smoke is a OTC burley or some Black Cav. But Saturday and Sunday morning is reserved for PS English Luxury or Walnut.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I need a nicotine hit in the morning to keep up with the strong coffee. So here's my morning smokes

* Kendal's Kentucky

* Irish Flake

* Escudo
Haddo's delight has a good vitamin N as well, but I don't do the aromatic in the morning thing very well. I just want a straight tobacco or a good VaPer without any topping/casing. I'm kinda like Sunday Picnic as well right now, but the jury's still out on that ;-)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
For me Aros are for enjoying around company mostly.
Or on the rare occasion I'm in the mood for sweetness.
NEVER IN THE MORNING!!

angry_baby-21884.jpg

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
Thank you Spartan. So, where did you get Leonidas' baby picture? :lol:

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
My sincere thanks for all the thoughtful suggestions and the smiles, too.
I am truly happy to have found this particular forum. I know I'm in the right place.

Jul 12, 2011
Dunhill's EMP, Peterson's UF & Perfect plug, SG-FVF, SG-Navy & LJ Peretti's London flake all work for my morning smoke...but as months get colder...Peretti's Royal or Penzance gets put into play for my AM smokes as well

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
Thanks, Dragon. I hadn't been aware of Peretti's until I came aboard here. They seem to have quite a following.
The idea of starting the day with an English isn't lost on me. On some cold days there is a warming effect the flavor can bring on, like a smokey tea.

Jul 15, 2011
I didnt start smoking in the morning until I moved into my new apartment and the neighbors kid has started waking me up earlier and earlier each day. If youre looking for something mild but tasty, Victorian Stroll by Hearth and Home is a great tasty blend that goes great with coffee. Another good choice is some Frog Morton, and Squadron Leader is another blend that is light but flavorful. I sometimes dig a good Virginia in the morning as well, something like Anniversary Kake or AJs Vaper, both by Hearth and Home as well.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
Thanks,PN. I shop at P&C pretty regularly. I see that Russ has a fine reputation. I plan on working my way through his blends. The spectrum is huge. I see he even created his own Lakeland style blends, the Brickles.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I like an English in the morning. Frequently HH Vintage Syrian is a good choice - smoky and spicy. Altadis Burma Road is another I am liking there - a crossover English, with light vanilla and chocolate notes. I sometimes will choose another Syrian latakia blend.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
I'm glad you brought up crossover English, Jud. I picked up a tin of Two Friends English Chocolate a little while ago.

I was trying to find a way to best enjoy it, but I hadn't considered it for a morning pipe yet. Perhaps that will be a good fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.