PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Fellow pipers, break out your best stuff and celebrate a bowl with me in honor of my oldest son. He was accepted by West Point! All that hard work and smarts paid off...must get it from his mother.

"Dad, how do you feel about me being an officer?" he asked with proud tears in his eyes. I said, "I never knew an officer I liked, but maybe you'll be the first. For me and all of those who will serve with him."

Aww man, now I'm getting misty eyed. Damn allergies.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
Congratulations! My wife will be a U.S. Army Dentist when she finishes her training and I'm looking forward to being a dependent again. Perhaps their paths shall cross some day.

Reactions: crawdad

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
HOOAH!! I know dad's proud, & rightly so! Do him a favor, though -- explain about ringknockers & why everybody despises them. }:)

Some of the best officers I've known have been Academy grads, *&* some of the worst. We just graduated a WP ell-tee from the med school a couple of weeks ago & my boss (retired bird) commissioned him as an O-3. He's gonna go far -- good man, & got his head on straight. Hope your kid follows his example vis-a-vis his attitude!

Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's wonderful. Congrats to Dad and his son. We've been listening to the Ron Charnow book "Grant," and I'm fascinated with his relationship with his Westpoint experience. His dad applied on his behalf without telling him, and he rode the train there hoping for a wreck so he wouldn't have to go. He wasn't much of a student, but he was an incredible horseman, though they made him a quartermaster (supply officer) for the Mexican War. He washed out of the Army because of his drinking, and at one point he was selling cord wood to feed his family. Then along came the Civil War; he was summoned to duty for an Illinois company where he had a sponsor or two. Apparently he paid close attention while attending Westpoint, despite his demerits, and the rest is actually History. He didn't go by the book; he wrote it.

Reactions: crawdad

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Fellow pipers, break out your best stuff and celebrate a bowl with me in honor of my oldest son. He was accepted by West Point! All that hard work and smarts paid off...must get it from his mother.

"Dad, how do you feel about me being an officer?" he asked with proud tears in his eyes. I said, "I never knew an officer I liked, but maybe you'll be the first. For me and all of those who will serve with him."

In the full spirit of inter-service brotherly rivalry, and with my heartiest congratulations to you and your son...

He can't be that smart if he decided to join the Army!

Fantastic news and best wishes to him for such a great accomplishment. What career branch/MOS is he shooting for?

Reactions: 3rdguy and crawdad
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Very, very impressive. Perhaps the best free education available on the planet. I've known a number of military academy graduates, all exceptionally fine men. Your Son has a great privilege and I'm certain is already a fine young man to have been chosen. Congratulations and best wishes for his success. There's obviously been some superb parenting along the way.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
In the full spirit of inter-service brotherly rivalry, and with my heartiest congratulations to you and your son...

He can't be that smart if he decided to join the Army!

Fantastic news and best wishes to him for such a great accomplishment. What career branch/MOS is he shooting for?

Despite my concerted efforts to steer him away he's sticking with Infantry. He made a perfect score on his SATs, graduated as a National Merit Scholar so like what the hell? But he's got it all figured out each step of the way, his career track. He's a very driven and ambitious young man.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Despite my concerted efforts to steer him away he's sticking with Infantry. He made a perfect score on his SATs, graduated as a National Merit Scholar so like what the hell? But he's got it all figured out each step of the way, his career track. He's a very driven and ambitious young man.
I’m sure he’ll go far. And outstanding kids don’t happen on their own, so kudos on raising a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.