PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Okay guys. I got the packing and lighting and cleaning down. Now I just need to figure out what I like to put in my pipe.
Everything I read review wise about tobaccos are from the POV of someone who speaks tobacco and mean nothing to me. I have tried several different blends with varrying success. For me it seems it never tastes as good as it smells.
Fill me in guys and keep it dumb.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Greg offers a good deal of information on this subject, and more...

A good place to start is with the FAQ's.

http://www.glpease.com/FAQ.html

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I will assume that you are smoking an aromatic tobacco -- something supposedly flavored with a non-tobacco item, like fruit or spice. The fact that it never tastes as good as it smells means that you are 100% normal. The aromatics smoker rarely has the same rich experience as do the people around him. That's why many folks smoke non-aromatics for their own pleasure, and turn to aromatics only out of consideration for others.
As your palate develops you will increasingly enjoy what is an admittedly acquired taste: "tobacco". I'll spare you my lecture on educating one's palate to the taste(s) of natural tobaccos, and just recommend Lane Ltd.'s 1-Q blend, which most smokers find enjoyable. I think it would be an excellent transition blend from aro's to naturals (...and vice-versa -- my adventure into aromatics began with 1-Q !)
If you would list its strengths and weaknesses, then someone here can help you along a little further.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
never tastes good as it smells,try some good old pa, i don't like any flavor in my tobacco, love the taste of plain o tobacco.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks cortezattic. Explanations like your's is what I am looking for.
Fred, I will check that link.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
eaglerice, go to www.tobaccoreviews.com and peruse the site. There are thousands of blends described and reviewed in detail. A fun way to kill an evening or two. Personal tatse will always win out but reading about what people think of a blend may strike a chord with you.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
and different blends smoke different in different pipes... don't forget flakes taste and smoke different depending on if you rub it out or fold n stuff, plus pike affects how it tastes.... oh, and don't forget how wet it is....
bottom line, experiment and enjoy...

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
You're welcome Buck67. Greg has written a good deal on Pipe and Pipe tobacco

and his site contains a good deal of it. We don't have to agree with everything

he has to say, but it does give perspective to a host of issues.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Try as many as you can in the range you seem to be drawn to. I started many years ago with Sir Walter Raleigh, went to aromatics and now favor "English" blends. I also smoke a few aromatics just for a change of pace. It comes down to what you like personally.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I think the main reason for me only being exposed to the aromatics is that the shop I go to doesn't carry much of anything else. I have been looking and once more funds are available I will start ordering some sample packs. :puffpipe:

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
Look for non-flavored blends heavy on Black Cavendish tobacco. Most good ones will taste as good as they smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.