PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I don't consider a pipe broken in until I've dropped and dented it a few times, the pipe has developed a cake, and it has become rank from neglect. I then spruce it up as best I can, clean, polish, and rest it a bit. If it then smokes well, I consider it broken in. But I'll go out on a limb here and say that perhaps a more non-personal definition of "broken in" would be useful. If anyone has one, it ain't I.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
The pipe is broke in when it's broke in. It will tell you by the way it smokes. I smoke a pipe the same from the very first smoke, haven't found a reason to do otherwise. So I guess technically, my pipe are broken in from the very start.
This is so very true. As an uncoated bowl lover, i enjoy the entire process of learning about the particular pipe.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
As always, a complicated question. Everyone's idea of a broken in pipe is different. I think absolutely on average, somewhere around a dozen bowls is when a pipe starts to smoke how it will predictably in the future for the most part. Insert as much ambiguous language as necessary to make this as wishy washy a statement as possible.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'll go out on a limb and say a pipe is broken in when you, the smoker, is comfortable with it and are over the "newness." I really think a new or used, new to smoker, pipe breaks in the smoker. If you have strict routine you must follow. the pipe is broken in when the routine is complete. But, the reality is, when you are comfortable with the tool ... it's broken in.

That is if you insist a pipe must be broken in.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I considered my Peterson 120 army broken in after sanding the crappy coating of the chamber off. Other than that got just one other brand new pipe, and gave it a water flush today after a few bowls. Will see how it will smoke, but smokes fine for me from the first bowl with tobaccos i know. It DID have a coating in the chamber, but nothing like the plastic gunk of the Pete.