PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I really love the simplicity and functionality of a basic pipe nail as both tamper and scoop, but I hate the lack of any weight to it. I'd love a nice pipe nail made of solid brass or even copper (which would be nice, but still not a lot of weight). Aluminum are all I see on the web. Any ideas?

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Brass door hinge pin, grind the tip flat or to a point, or just leave it as is.
the-hillman-group-door-pins-springs-rollers-852781-64_1000.jpg

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
I've heard of other people doing this and I've had the idea of using a .308/7.62 cartridge for this purpose. Might eventually get around to it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I just use the flat part of my Czech tool. Am I doing it wrong?
Not at all.
As to weight, I am leaning towards lighter rather than heavier in both pipes and paraphernalia. But brass is a cool material.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting idea. I'll second the motion on the simplicity and functionality of the pipe nail. I have a couple of other tools, nicer, but the nail mostly nails it. Because they're inexpensive they almost never get lost. One did fall, bounce, and get away, but it's in the room somewhere and it's sure to show up.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
I really like the idea of using a brass hinge pin. Just need to find one that is brass, and not brass plated metal. I will start looking for one.

Thanks.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
There is a gentleman in Russia that I found on eBay. Nice weight, made of brass. He's improved it since I bought one last year the tamper now is a bit wider, not much but enough to help b I'll look for his contract info, pm me if interested. I will say shipping took like three weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.