PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indyraider

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great advice here on this forum. I am new to pipe smoking as well as this site. I am sure that I will have questions as I move forward--I will be sure to post them here! Literally hundreds of years of pipe smoking experience here--definitely a wealth of information especially for rookies like myself.
indyraider

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Welcome to The Club indyraider!!!!

I can honestly say when I took up the pipe I would have most likely given up if not for the great people on this forum. They are all truly a class act.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Welcome and do remember once you get into the hobby the people here will enable you big time and next thing you know you will have dozens if not hundreds of pipes and tons of tobacco. Speaking of what are you starting with for a pipe and tobacco.

~Ron

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome aboard. You've got lots of friends here all of them willing to share experience, advice, or --best of all-- a bowl of tobacco.

indyraider

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
I am from Indiana and live in the Indianapolis area. I purchased a $40 pipe starter kit from cigar.com that included a greek briar pipe, a 3 in 1 tool, a tin of CAO Moontrance, a tin of Sutliff Academy, and a package of Captain Black White (Regular). My brother and I are entering this hobby together and we just found a great tobacco shop in Noblesville, IN where we can get some hands-on help. They also have a great lounge where we can smoke during the winter months!
indyraider

newsmoke

Lurker
Oct 5, 2013
Hello everyone... I hope this doesn't sound like too silly a question....but I'm very new to this. Is it okay to smoke aromatic and plain tobacco in the same pipe? Thanks for any help or advice.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't, but other folks do. (I don't smoke aros at all, but I keep my lat and non-lat blends in their own rotations.) And welcome to the forum.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Welcome fellas.

Newsmoke- you'll get varied answers there. Me? I mostly separate. Now I've got a friend that smokes two things in his pipe: squadron leader and CAO Eileen's Dream. Polar opposites. But he's happy as a duck doing so.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good to have you here indyraider.
Is it okay to smoke aromatic and plain tobacco in the same pipe? Thanks for any help or advice.
There are lots of differing opinions on this and I don't know that there is one conclusive answer. Some people palates may be more discerning than others and can taste the previous tobacco, but many don't notice serious ghosting in a pipe when switching from one tobacco to another.
I would say that if it's not hurting your enjoyment of a tobacco, then there is no problem.

Jan 8, 2013
Welcome Indy and Newsmoke. I've been smoking a pipe less than a year. The folks here have really helped me along. Never be afraid to ask a question, no matter how dumb you might think it sounds. I can almost guarantee the question has been asked before. Think of this as your online pipe smoker's club, and everyone here is your friend.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Think of this as your online pipe smoker's club, and everyone here is your friend.
+1 anthony
I smoke whatever tobacco I am in the mood for in whatever pipe I want, I do smoke mainly cobs so this probably helps.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
This ghost will go away eventually, but in the meantime, and though some puffers don't mind it, but if that "ghost" bothers you, then consider dedicating a pipe/pipes to certain blends to prevent it.
Funny you mention that Roth I have yet to get the ghost of Bing out of my Beau Nash, well looks like I've now got a specific pipe for C&D's Crooner now. And Newsmoke if you are afraid of ghosting a pipe get a cob or meer they don't really ghost.

~Ron

newsmoke

Lurker
Oct 5, 2013
Ron...it's funny you mention a corncob. I currently have only three pipes...two of which are corncobs...the third briar. I seem to have much better luck "working" the cobs and keeping them lit as opposed to the briar. Is this fairly common for a newbie or is it because the briar isn't "smoked in" yet? I feel I should mention the briar has a smaller bowl than either of the cobs.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
welcome welcome! while some pipes are easier to keep lit, (i have one briar that is very touchy) most of it is just technique. the type of tobacco plays a factor also. depending on the moisture content and the way the tobacco is cut, you could be packing it too loose our too tight. it should feel like ur drinking a soda through a straw when you test it before you light up. not sucking through an empty stew, and not sucking a triple thick milkshake through a straw. it takes a little practice to get ur technique dialed in, but you should have it down to a science in just a few bowls. try sprinkling tobacco up to the top and pressing it down loosely, then use the same method again, but pressing a little tighter in the middle, then take a pinch and pack the top a little tighter still.

Status
Not open for further replies.