PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
My family draws names for Christmas and I had a peterson Aran on one of my wish lists. So my cousin bought it and sent it to me. When I started inspecting the pipe today I found that the drill hole looks pretty out of place. Is this just common of poor peterson quality control that everyone has been talking about? My other peterson pipe I have is perfect.
i6egxh0.jpg

KetrWWR.jpg

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I received 999 Fermoy that is drilled exactly the same as yours. I have a few smokes in and although it smokes well it doesn't pass a pipe cleaner without some playing around.

I also received a Darwin system pipe that doesn't smoke very well. I wonder about the quality of the drilling on that one as well.s

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Yes, as johnnyiii that does look a bit like a System, but obviously it's an Aran...curious. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that it would actually work like a System, which is no bad thing.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
His joint is not the same as mine on my 517 but is like the one depicted on the site. cant see his stem though to see if it is a match. Its supposed to keep you from needing to pipe clean to the bowl, and instead keep the spit out of the bowl. For what its worth it works.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I have a Peterson's Fermoy bent brandy with a drill hole in the same place, i thought they might have drilled it like that because of the shape of the pipe. Does the drill hole come out in the bottom of the bowl's chamber? I thought if they placed it lower they might have missed the chamber. Yours might be different...

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Johnny sounds as if he is onto something. On a side note I believe peterson actually ship in their briar to Ireland already carved and drilled and just apply the finishing touches and assembly.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I was in my local tobacconist a few years ago when the rep selling Petes brought in the Explorer Series to show. Four pipes which looked very nice on the outside but when you began looking at the fit and the drilling they left much to be desired. High draft holes were common. I'm not a Peterson fan. Many are but I had a pipe from the Sherlock Holmes series that I could never get the taste of stain out of the bowl, or the shank.
Mike S.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
To me it actually looks perfect! I love my Petersons and many of them that are bent are drill much like a system. As far as the staining that some have commented on, I have found that if you tale some everclear on a towel and wipe the inside. It reduces the effects.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Evidently before people complained they dipped stained the bowls. Either they quite doing that or covered it up with the pre carbon. I didn't see it in my stem though so I would say they stopped. Many makers though still do. One if my chacom's was dipped stained the other purchased at the same time was raw briar on the inside.
I did the Docs treatment but with a folded pipe cleaner. Many recommend a salt and everclear treatment to be thorough
Let us know what you find out pylorns ... will check back later

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I have come to believe, after much reading on this site, that no-one should be able to purchase a Peterson unless they take and pass a test. The test will show whether or not the prospective buyer has any understanding at all about Peterson pipes, system and non, and their construction.
I have smoked, almost exclusively, Peterson's when smoking root pipes for 50 years or so, all bents to some degree. My last purchase was back in March when in Dublin. I have top ends and lower range, system and non, in my rotation. I can truthfully say that while I prefer a couple over the others, none of them smoke badly or have unacceptable fills or other blemishes. The craftsmanship is good and I have none that are poorly drilled or have fitting problems.
I'd really like to read the names of these retailers who sell so many bad Peterson branded pipes. These bad Petes must be everywhere and yet, I have not stumbled across one. I certainly will conceded that any maker will now and then have a less than stellar item make it out the door, but if Peterson was producing a high percentage of less than acceptable pipes they'd certainly be having problems with the bottom line.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've purchased Petersons over four years, and one as recently as a few months ago. All of mine are

highlights in my smoking life. I enjoyed my Pete bulldog (Around the World/Ireland) to celebrate

New Years Day. I hope if the quality control problems exist, Peterson wakes up and fixes them.

Certainly, the prices are going up, so I hope the quality stays up.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Ok on further examination I went back and looked at my Limerick 01 shape which is similar to yours in bend. After 20min of searching for a flashlight realize mine is the same. Now my pipe is circa 1989 or so, so I guess it's designed that way.

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
My 03 Pete Dracula looks the same, as well does most of my other full bent pipes (which all smoke great by the way). I'm guessing it is the norm. Like carcosa stated, I think they have to drill it like that or it would miss the chamber completely.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
@Warren
Pipeherman's correct. Q/A no. 7:
http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/Peterson_Today_(March_2011)_%E2%80%93_An_Interview_with_Tom_Palmer,_Managing_Director_of_Peterson_of_Dublin

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
There is mention of Peterson pipes in this essay by Ivy Ryan.In my experience (limited though it is)with Peterson, I find it to be very accurate.
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Memories_of_Charatan_Pipes_and_Notes_on_their_Dating
As far as anyone else's experience or preferences, smoke what makes you happy and if others don't share your enthusiasm, be happy, more for you. And as far as those Explorer Series pipes I mentioned? They came into Cousin's Cigar in Cleveland and left with the salesman.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.