PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Hey folks, Im Jim. I am a retired Army SFC who decided to go to Afghanistan as a civilian contractor. Pleased to meet all of you.
Now here is the thing. I am normally a premium cigar smoker (Cubans are easy to come by over here). However the unit I work with/for just swapped out for a new group of Soldiers. These guys like pipes as well as cigars, so I am going to join in the fun. I know NOTHING about choosing a pipe. I think I would like a Churchwarden because I don't want a hot smoke. Are these types of pipes prone to cracking and breaking? Also thinking of getting it in meerschaum which I know can be a bit fragile. One of the LTs I work with said the Meer doesn't have to be broke in which sounds nice in theory. Plus they color up nice. But would a wood Churchwarden be a better choice because its probably sturdier? Looking for expert advice on my first pipe purchase.
Thanks

Jim

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I second the Stanwell HCA cause then you get the best of both worlds. Two great pipes shapes from one of the best pipe companies out there. Just remember to order churchwarden pipe cleaners and not regular ones. :)

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Other option to look at is a pipe with a 9mm filter in it. Keeps the pipe smoke pretty cool, kills any tongue bite, and makes for an easier smoke. With the filter you don't have to be as concerned with the "Smoke Slow" mantra as they are a little more forgiving. I am a fast puffer and a clencher and with my non-filtered pipes I have to keep telling my self to go slow, in my filtered pipe I just puff away.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I actually use a Legend Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe bowl ($4) and a stem made for me for $17 by Walker Briar Works, together the pipe is 11" long! It's very durable and the cheapest good option for a churchwarden and it doesn't have to be broken in either. For the price of a Savinelli, you can get quite a few of these :) It does smoke the coolest out of all my pipes, I think next up I will turn a natural cob (without the plaster) into a cobwarden.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jsmarinner, I don't know your circumstances overseas, how much you have to relocate and what your

living quarters are like. For a pipe smoking beginner, I'd recommend a regular pipe, rather than a churchwarden,

for durability and versatility, being able to carry it from place to place, even in a fairly calm area. The difference

in the heat of the smoke is really slight. Just get a average size pipe, 5.5 to 6 inches; it will burn cool enough with

most tobaccos. Briar is durable and wears nicely; I'd go with that for starters, or the cob as recommended.

I'd start out with an unfiltered pipe, for a clearer idea of how tobacco is tasting to you. Those are just my

suggestions. Whatever you do, enjoy your pipe(s). One pipe leads to another, as Hemingway said of cats.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Welcome to the forum and a life long journey. If you're new mates are into pipes I'm sure they'd love to pass on their experiences and knowledge. We can't help ourselves, the nature of the beast. Hot burns are mostly a cadence thing, and easily fixed. Talk to your "Brothers in Briar".
Craig

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Welcome aboard, Warrior. Lots of good folks and sound advice here. Watch your six over there!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome to YOUR hobby and YOUR forum. We're all so glad to have you with us. Read through the forum,and you'll find many postings will answer questions that you might have, and then we are here for you. Ask away. And I'd like to recommend the Old Dominion cobs. They're inexpensive, and offer a mighty fine smoke.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Once I started trying to reasearch what pipes are out there, I started getting overwhelmed. I know what I don't want. I also know (at least sort of) what I want the pipe to be. But I am not sure of how to best explain it. I know I want a longer stem pipe because I dont want the bowl real close to my face. This has me leaning to the Churchwarden. But most I have seen dont have a filter. Do I need a filter? What does the filter do in a pipe as opposed to one in a cigarette (which I dont smoke).
I also seem to need to research what a "system" is and what a "spigot" is to determine if it is something I want to have. Man I never knew there was this much to the whole pipe thing.
Trailboss, I love your signature line.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Welcome Jim! Jeremy here, Im a new member as well. Navy Corpsman currently deployed in Japan. Made the switch from cigars a little over 3 years ago. Best decision ever ever made besides getting a wife and a dog! Choosing your first pipe can be VERY overwhelming. I researched for a month before I actually made the commitment. I started with a paper filtered pipe until I discovered pipes like Brigham, Peterson, and Savinelli which have filter "systems". Filters are mostly used to absorb the moisture that accumulates in your pipe as you smoke. To some its a big deal, but to others it's not. The best advice I've gotten so far is that whatever works for you is the right way to do it. I hope this helps.

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
Well isnt that something.
As I was looking through countless dealers at different pipes, I was on smokingpipes.com and looking at the freehand Nordings. I was blown away at the style and color of a few of them and I think that one of them is going to be my first pipe.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Nordings have a good rep,although I don't own one.
I personally think that's a better choice than a churchwarden. I'm not convinced they smoke any cooler then anything else. From my experience,they're a PITA for combining with any other activity,except for sitting around gabbing. I have one that was a gift; I rarely smoke it.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
From one SFC to another welcome. I would go with an cob or a good Briar. PM me if you need anything I am in Germany, got your back. Watch your 6 and keep your head down.
Be safe Bryan

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Welcome JS!
I would second Eric's suggestion to go with a Missouri Meerschaum cob with a Churchwarden Forever stem (www.walkerbriarworks.com)
This is a solid choice for a beginner - MMs smoke cool and are easy to learn on, they have a variety of shapes, and are inexpensive. The Foreverstem is a fantastic addition - you can get it in several styles, sizes, and colors. (I have 4 - one of them is a mini-Churchwarden - all great smokes). You might want to buy a regular MM at the same time to have a small rotation.

There's nothing more frustrating that to spend $$$ on a pipe style you don't know if you're going to like. Save your money and buy the best you can afford when you know what you want. (Savinelli has a "Clark" that's I've got my eye on.)
Good Luck, and smoke whatever you choose in good health!

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
If you're flying in or out via Dubai, be sure to check the pipe tobacco section in Duty Free. They have a few Davidoff blends (I love the Davidoff Rolls they sell), Erinmore flake and ready rubbed, as well as Condor, Clan, Captain Black, Borkum Riff and McBaren Seven Seas. The walk in humidors often have some Petersons for sale. Pipe cleaners are occasionally available too!

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
In practical terms, if you're out and about, I'd recommend a smaller bowled billiard or bent pipe (choose a Peterson that appeals, I love their billiard shaped System pipe). Couple that with a nice flake and you can get a good hour's smoke from a small, cool pipe with a practical small tobacco tin (flakes also sit nicely in a wallet).
I travel all over the Middle East and Africa. A church warden would be too big and unwieldy, especially in the more spartan accommodation your likely to be in in Afghanistan.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One price of "seeing the world" is that things do get ripped off. If I were headed to Afghanistan with pipes, I'd take briars, but

not high end pipes. If you have some heavy pay days and want to buy a pipe or more in the hundreds of dollars range, I'd ship

those safely home, for safe keeping. For hauling over the world, I'd get good quality durable pipes that still won't break your

heart if they end up snagged by a thief or shipped by mistake to points unknown. Nording makes a superb line of low priced

pipes with high quality attributes called Eriksens. The best selection I've seen is at Cup O Joes, at the end of the Nording listing,

or indexed under Economy pipes. They are sturdy, not bad looking, and cost around $50. Two or three of these would go a long

way. If you want to rotate in a higher level pipe, you might want to consider an estate (used) pipe from smokingpipes.com that

would be thoroughly sanitized and ready to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.