PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Can anyone tell me what this brand name is? I can't seem to make sense of it.
Also, this intricate little beauty has a chamber that is 1" across, 1" deep, and extremely conical in shape. It's different than any other bowl I've tried to smoke and am having trouble finding a style or blend that it "loves". Also I'm not sure if it should be lit from the center, sides, or evenly all over - considering that strong conical shape.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Cheers.

Screenshot (11).png

Reactions: drayve85

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Akdolu is the carver. Found this old post on the forums that has some info about the carver(s).

Thank you, I just couldn't sort out the letters for some reason.

I never attempt to light the entirety of the surface of my pipes. As soon as it catches a little fire, I just nurse that ember down the center. To me, the cherry pushing the flavors out from the surrounding tobaccos gives me more flavor. Direct burning of the leaf doesn't give me much taste, like a cigarette. But, by the cherry heating up and making surrounding leaf push off essential oils and aromas, I get more flavors. And, that is how I smoke most of my pipes. But, YMMV.

My Becker scoop has a 1" bowl and a tight shallow cone shape. I use it as a taster, mostly, because I am getting a more extreme shift from lots of tobacco pushing off flavors at the top, down to straight smoke from incineration midway and lower. So, I can really taste how tobaccos respond in a variety of pipes. I use it before blending, and when trying new blends, to give me the best idea of whether I would enjoy a tobacco in small chambers or large ones... again, YMMV

We all have different ways we enjoy our pipes.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I never attempt to light the entirety of the surface of my pipes. As soon as it catches a little fire, I just nurse that ember down the center. To me, the cherry pushing the flavors out from the surrounding tobaccos gives me more flavor. Direct burning of the leaf doesn't give me much taste, like a cigarette. But, by the cherry heating up and making surrounding leaf push off essential oils and aromas, I get more flavors. And, that is how I smoke most of my pipes. But, YMMV.

My Becker scoop has a 1" bowl and a tight shallow cone shape. I use it as a taster, mostly, because I am getting a more extreme shift from lots of tobacco pushing off flavors at the top, down to straight smoke from incineration midway and lower. So, I can really taste how tobaccos respond in a variety of pipes. I use it before blending, and when trying new blends, to give me the best idea of whether I would enjoy a tobacco in small chambers or large ones... again, YMMV

I understand the spreading of the heat from a single cherry and I think my palate can work with that. Using this bowl shape as a taster, that will take more refinement. But alas, I'll accept the challenge.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

I understand the spreading of the heat from a single cherry and I think my palate can work with that. Using this bowl shape as a taster, that will take more refinement. But alas, I'll accept the challenge.
This is my Becker that I was talking about.

View attachment 113866
Yes, that really looks like a similar bowl shape. Thanks

Reactions: cosmicfolklore