PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
How long will a 1.5lb box of PS LNF (for example) last without jarring?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The rate at which tobacco dries out is the average time it takes for the moisture content to evaporate. Sometimes it seems I'm too helpful.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Not long, I wouldn't think. I'd get it jarred, or at the very least bagged, as soon as possible.

The Briary has always just had a box of the different PS flake open and dish out the flakes as bulk. I've never gotten a dry flake from them. As of the last year I have jarred up 9 lbs of LTF and 6 lbs of LNF, and when air pop a jar I just put the flakes in a leather bag and smoke them till their gone. The boxes are wrapped in plastic, not sealed, and the bags used to unsealed until very recently, and I've never had a dry flake until I place it under a light bulb, but this is humid Alabama, so YMMV. But, I wouldn't worry much about it, they seem to hold their moisutre, unlike other flakes I smoke.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I had a box for a good 6 months at least until I jarred it, it was fine, but for long term storage I would definitely jar it. It also won't age I don't think if you don't jar it.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Large amounts of baccy that come in boxes or bags are not as tightly sealed as most tins.

The risk of it drying out is just not worth it.
I would divvy up your 1.5 labs into smaller jars (say 2 or 4 ozs each), and write on a label the brand, the weight, and when jarred.
This method serves three purposes:
1) The baccy will stay fresher,
2) You spread the risk of contamination by using not one but several jars,
3) You can watch and enjoy the effects of aging by having a jar at any time, and keeping the rest for the future.
Of course, use clean jars and lids, and pack it tightly.
Enjoy.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've left SG's Kendal Chocolate and Firedance flakes out in the open over 24 hours without noticing any appreciable drying, so I'm not really in a panic hurry to jar their boxes :D If it's a maker known for shipping their blends at the correct smoking moisture, then I'd probably jar it up right quick.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Got a pound of Iwan Reis Va. Slices the other day. Opened it up, took out for smoking, and began jarring it right then.
I just don't want to take a chance of my hard-earned baccy becoming dry as duck feathers.
I'm retired and I have to watch what I purchase and when. Tobacco goes into jars, period.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
The sealed plastic in the box will have to hold until I get some more jars(which are on the way). Thanks guys.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Undoubtedly, a boxed quantity may remain in good condition for a substantial length of time in its original bag but only due to its volume. The outer parts will noticeably lose quality first and whatever the loses, they will be much greater than if properly jarred.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I don't have access to jars where I live. I have about a dozen PS boxes, and am awaitaing an order of mylar bags. Meanwhile, I have wrapped the boxes in several layers of plastic wrap, and am keeping my fingers crossed.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The 10 year old one pound box of FVF that I recently shared with the Forum was soaking wet when I removed it from the Mylar sarcophagus. I know how tobacco ages, but aged cardboard is a whole different animal.
YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.