PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
From the stem "crest" logo, it looks like it's an older pipe made by Jorgen Larsen. The G refers to the grade. I believe they began with the letter A and rose. The highest graded one I have ever seen was an I ( upper case i )

Mike
Mike is spot-on. I have several Peter Stokkebye pipes. I believe my highest graded one is a B-grade prince. Fred Hanna told me that he once owned an AA-grade. The bulk of them that I have seen have been in the G-K range. Jorgen Larsen also sold pipes labeled ”Jorgen L”. I believe he developed an allergy to briar dust which forced him to stop making pipes. IIRC, Marty Pulvers distributed Jorgen L for a time and holds his work in very high regard.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Mike is spot-on. I have several Peter Stokkebye pipes. I believe my highest graded one is a B-grade prince. Fred Hanna told me that he once owned an AA-grade. The bulk of them that I have seen have been in the G-K range. Jorgen Larsen also sold pipes labeled ”Jorgen L”. I believe he developed an allergy to briar dust which forced him to stop making pipes. IIRC, Marty Pulvers distributed Jorgen L for a time and holds his work in very high regard.
Not that it matters, but I'm confused. You and Mike seem to be saying different things about which way the grading scale goes. Is A the best or is it K?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Not that it matters, but I'm confused. You and Mike seem to be saying different things about which way the grading scale goes. Is A the best or is it K?
A is a higher grade than K. I don't think Mike said it was different. He only stated that the highest he'd seen was K.

The Smokingpipes listing posted above supports this as well. If there's any doubt, have a look at the stellar angel hair grain in this A grade shown in an earlier post. Wow!

Reactions: litup

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
It could be the other way around. I don't recall exactly. I do recall the I grade that came through my doors was stunning straight grain.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Craig is correct. From Pipedia..... Stokkebye is the brand by Peter Stokkebye International Ltd. tobacco company, a subsidiary of the Orlik Tobacco Company, the biggest in Denmark. It has been produced since the 1970s by Larsen, Jørgen. Maximum grading "AAA". Symbol: "PS" (with the letters almost superimposed).