PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I have ordered my first cheap estate pipe to try to refurbish. I have also ordered micro mesh pads for sanding off the stain. Never having done this before, I am wondering if the stain can typically be removed without sanding Out the manufacturers stamp from the shank? If so, Is there a best practice for doing this?
Thanks

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Scrubbing the stummel in hot water with Murphy's oil soap will many times remove stain. Use a toothbrush that has stiffer bristles. The stain may not be totally removed, but for the most part it will be gone. Briar doesn't have the problem with grain raising when wetted.

Sanding should be used when you need to repair blemishes, like when steaming out dents. In my opinion sanding to remove stain is a little too aggressive. Add since micromesh pads usually start at 1500 and go up, you'd be doing a lot of sanding. If I was to remove stain, I'd probably start at 320, and use flexible sandpaper.

Sanding has it's place, but if you don't have a lot of experience you can devalue your pipe in no time flat. I've seen furniture, gunstocks, and pipes that were sanded into oblivion.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Scrubbing the stummel in hot water with Murphy's oil soap will many times remove stain. Use a toothbrush that has stiffer bristles. The stain may not be totally removed, but for the most part it will be gone. Briar doesn't have the problem with grain raising when wetted.

Sanding should be used when you need to repair blemishes, like when steaming out dents. In my opinion sanding to remove stain is a little too aggressive. Add since micromesh pads usually start at 1500 and go up, you'd be doing a lot of sanding. If I was to remove stain, I'd probably start at 320, and use flexible sandpaper.

Sanding has it's place, but if you don't have a lot of experience you can devalue your pipe in no time flat. I've seen furniture, gunstocks, and pipes that were sanded into oblivion.
I meant to say that I got the micro mesh mainly for the stem. I had intended to use sandpaper around 320 on the bowl. I think I might try alcohol and see how it goes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't refinished a briar pipe, but I've heard of taping over the stamping before buffing a pipe. You'd have to tape over so that that patch wouldn't look too incongruous with the new finish, but I think it would be worth it to retain the stamp as part of the pipe's identity. Once the stamp is gone, unless the pipe is a distinguished rarity with other identifying features, all you have is a basket pipe. I have a few great basket pipes, but a stamp is good to preserve. Refinishing a pipe tends to erode its original identity anyway, but if the stamp is gone, the brand is gone.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I basically started buying the $5.00 a pipe lots on e-bay when I began to learn what not to do. Then moved on to the higher end of pipe lots. Before you know it you'll be restoring some really nice and enjoyable smoking pipes that are worthy of your time and patience.

I read and read and read... RebornPipes. And they have some very nice pipes for sale.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I haven't refinished a briar pipe, but I've heard of taping over the stamping before buffing a pipe.
I buff stummels without taping them, and there is no issue with any stampings. White Diamond, a reasonable speed, keeping the work moving and judicious use of the buffer.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Denatured ethanol will remove most of the stain very easily.
If you do put a pipe on a buffer, be sure to leave the stem on. Otherwise you’ll round over the edges of the shank. Also, use a very gentle compound and don’t linger over the stamp. But don’t use a buffer unless you’re familiar with how to use one. If you present an edge to the wrong part of the wheel, your pipe will be quickly removed from your hands and introduced to the floor, work table or some other hard surface.

C

carolinasmokes

I just smoke them the way they come doesn't matter to me one way or the other. As a side note, I have smoked a lot of different brands with factory bowl coatings some done well, some not so well and I must say, my Vauen pipes came with a bowl coating from the factory and they have the best bowl coating I've seen thus far, micro thin, smooth as glass and beautifully done. And I have not noticed any imparted flavor from their bowl coating.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I'm a few pipes ahead of you. Several of the pipes I've refurbed have already had their stem sanded so that there's a lip at the shank, which I don't like at all. To smooth that transition, I sand the shank and then sand the shank and stem together, which then requires sanding the entire bowl. Imprints don't do so well through that process.

Next one I do that way, I will attempt to protect the imprint area with a thin layer of superglue.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I basically started buying the $5.00 a pipe lots on e-bay when I began to learn what not to do. Then moved on to the higher end of pipe lots. Before you know it you'll be restoring some really nice and enjoyable smoking pipes that are worthy of your time and patience.

I read and read and read... RebornPipes. And they have some very nice pipes for sale.
Exactly what I did. A year and 200 pipes later I’m having a blast still. :)

Reactions: OzPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.