PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
Which bowl diameter is better for a beginner? large and shallow or smaller and deeper?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
About a 3/4 inch chamber seems to work out well starting out. A billiard, or bent billiard will give you the proportions that go with the diameter for depth. OR!!! Some of the other fellows have a different idea. But that seems to work out well in my experience. LOL

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
About a 3/4 inch chamber seems to work out well starting out.
I'll second that Arthur, but I might go a step farther and recommend that the bowl be around 1" deep.
Just a standard MM Cob size more or less. Wide, Narrow, Shallow, and Deep bowls might require some practice with good packing techniques, and puffing and tamping that comes with familiarity with the sport.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I agree with unclearthur. Larger bowls can be hard to light and to keep lit without experience. They don't work well with all blends. 3/4" is a very common size, so you'll have a wide selection to choose from and it should burn well with almost any tobacco you try.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In the past month or so Fred has really turned around my thinking on the issue of pipes for beginners. Plain meers aren't terribly expensive, they're interesting, neutral tasting, and there should be no problem finding them in the ¾" (~20mm) chamber diameter. The 1" depth idea is good, but if you see a deeper pipe that strikes your fancy, buy it but don't fill it up all the way.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I would think that a missori meershaum / corn cob would be a good starter pipe for a beginner.
Cobs can be had for $4-$6. If you drop it, hit it against the car window, char the rim, break the shank..... no biggy. They dry out quick after schmoking those goopy aromatics that we all started with.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
The only thing I'd change about the advice already given is the bowl depth. It is hard to find a 1" deep bowl. I'd look for a 1 1/2" deep bowl and fill it about half way to begin.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
For some reason .75" seems to give the best results with most tobacco. I don't know myself, but some people feel a slightly smaller bowl is good for straight Virginias. As to height a slightly taller bowl can be good sepecially for the new smoker. It you fill it only three quarters full then the extra bowl walls at the top tend to create a kind of funnel effect when you draw and helps keep the pipe lit...

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
I went with a large bowl, bigger than average, and then bought other pipes with smaller/different shaped versions. Go with cheap things to start, work around to find your favourite style andso on. Then, when you've got it, go with more quality works that suit your personal taste.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Like the Capn said. Once you know for sure what ya like then get hold of a strange little Dwarven pipemaker. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.