PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A new pipe apparently has a funky bowl coating as in the three smokes thus far the first two tasted strange and bad while the third yielded only partial flavor. It's a Huybrecht from nearly 100 years ago.
This is not to start a thread about bowel coating because that goes absolutely nowhere but to ask how I should proceed with the pipe. I'm thinking that I could probably get way with continuing to smoke the pipe, waiting on developing a cake to improve the flavor. But I have a nagging doubt that maybe I need to send it out to have the coating removed, that the coating will continue to alter the flavor even with cake over it.
Thank you for your help!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The only bowl coating I'm in favor of is cake. The rest of them just taste like a heated-up version of whatever crap they make it out of. I just sand it out of the bowls of new pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just keep smoking it. Cake will develop and the coating—if indeed it's a coating on a very old pipe— will disappear.
Enjoy!

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Peterson new pipes have a coating which has a bad taste. After 3 or 4 smokes the cake covers it and it smokes good.

Just keep smoking your pipe, stay with it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Sorry to ask that which was already discussed.
I'm reading:
damp paper towel

high proof whiskey on paper towel

sanding
Anything else?

Dec 28, 2015
Well I for one am glad you’re not starting a thread about bowel coating. That can be a sticky subject. 8O

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I say the pipe is 100 y/o because Marty Pulvers says so. He probably says so because whoever he bought from said so. But the nomenclature does say "Huybrecht," and Pipedia says that maker was active ~1920.
Cortez referenced two articles on bowl coating by gap on this site. I wrote another on this site. And I'm sure there have been many other articles and a great deal of space devoted to same on all the forums. And in the end, this is a topic full of sound and fury signifying nothing because although people get very excited, and discuss and blame, mostly blame, it achieves f**king nothing!
As long as there are pipes someone will decide to coat them and others will despise the coating. It's part of the natural order.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
My most recent Peterson has a coated bowl. Whilst cleaning the shank with whisky-soaked pipecleaners I accidentally scrubbed some of the coating off. It came off quite easily. I proceeded to smoke it with the coating still in the bowl though and the flavor was excellent.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
The last time I had connection with Mr. Huybrecht was on the 7th January 1997

when he sold me two pipes, shape 49 dublin and shape 112 cavalier.

I do not remember if they were coated or not.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have here a Peterson Kapp Royal shape x 105 bought in June this year.

The pipe has no coating.
How can that be ?

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I had a new Rattray like that, heavily coated bowl, 5 smokes or so on it and I hadn't had one I enjoyed yet. I thought I was going to have to get rid of it. I took a toothbrush and sweetener and cleaned the chamber until I could see the wood, it came right out. Cleaned the draught hole until it didn't stain a cleaner, it was coated heavily all of the way to the mortise. The next smoke was a good one. It turned into one of my best smokers, so don't give up. I've had a few older pipes I had to take sandpaper to, I'm not sure what the difference was in coatings. Some can be a bit tougher, but most come out in minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.