PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Anybody have one? Always liked the looks of them, and just had one fall into a price range I was comfortable in. Probably no good for lighting a pipe, but still a neat little piece of history.
s-l400.jpg

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
America has a great history of lighter manufacturers. I just enjoy seeing the heritage being kept alive. Great pipe Duane.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Old lighters have always been a fascination. Have and old Nimrod that gets regular use, but am still waiting on the stars to align for a catalytic lighter or an IMCO trench lighter in good shape.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Beattie's Jet lighter was the best I ever had for lighting pipes. Have no idea where it went, but that was 50+ years ago.

Jun 27, 2016
The catalytic lighters that I like can be a pain to shop for, especially if they are used, because you "can't" repair them if the platinum filaments or platinum-black ball(s) are broken or worn out. You can always tell on ebay when someone is trying to dump a crappy one, because you won't be looking at any clear pics of the exciter sub-assembly, or whatever it is called. You can swap that whole exciter sub-assembly out with another lighter, which is handy if you have a beater case with good filaments, and vice-versa. Usually you can find NIB New Methods with the box and the glass extra fuel vial & cork on ebay for $40 to $50 total, and it should be in "near-mint+" condition for that price. Someone just sold a sweet store display with 10 NIB lighters included. 99% sure that there's someone on here who has a box of 20 or 30 of them, he was selling them off a while back.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
Cool lighter. Thinks these were originally made from Bullet casings in the trenches. Zippos probably took over design wise.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
I have 1, a copy, the disadvantage is that in the long run it is badly closed, the hood lifts a little in the pocket or in the bag and it empties even faster than a Zippo.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Being unlit, I will probably never even fill it. Just wanted it to add to the collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.