PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FALaholic

Might Stick Around
Jan 15, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Good “cheap” bourbon you have there too.For the cost to flavor profile it’s tough to beat. Its made by the same folks that make Buffalo Trace, and I’m told it’s the same mash.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
For what it's worth, Ernie Q. suggested infusing the tobacco (in stead of spritzing it) in another forum.

To infuse, place tobacco in a sealable container and make a "whole" in the middle for a small glass of spirits. Add said glass and cover for (I think it was) 2 weeks.

This method is supposed to result in a more uniform flavor while avoiding the risk of ruining the tobacco with alcohol (for some scientific reason that escapes me).

Figured I'd share.

Good “cheap” bourbon you have there too.For the cost to flavor profile it’s tough to beat. Its made by the same folks that make Buffalo Trace, and I’m told it’s the same mash.
Correct. Mash Bill #1 It's a low rye.

Here's a list of Buffalo Trace Mash Bill #1 brands:
Eagle Rare
Old Charter
Col. E. H. Taylor
Stagg
Stagg. Jr
and standard Buffalo Trace

There may be others too. I am still learning the humongous world of Brourbon... puffy

FALaholic

Might Stick Around
Jan 15, 2022
North Carolina, USA
This is intriguing to me. I posted about some MacBaren 7 Seas in another post that could likely be turned into insecticide.

Not trying to hijack your thread jayhancock, but If I were to try this which spirit would you recommend (preferably sweet).

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
So I am experimenting, I took some buffalo trace bourbon in a mason jar, soaked whisky barrel staves in it to rejuvinate the staves but it pulled the charr off of them, so I decided to fill up a small jar with the now smoky liquid and put it in the center of a tupperware with C&D Star of east all around it to try Ernie's infusion method. I received the tobacco a little more crispy than I like so I figured lets experiment. Gonna keep it closed up for a few weeks and see what turns out.

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
Its been 2 weeks and the tobacco has rehydrated nicely. Going to leave it a couple more weeks, then let it sit out to off gas the additional smell and dry it back out only a touch, then into the 2 ton press it goes to mash all those flavors together. I'll keep updating this thread as I go

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Its been 2 weeks and the tobacco has rehydrated nicely. Going to leave it a couple more weeks, then let it sit out to off gas the additional smell and dry it back out only a touch, then into the 2 ton press it goes to mash all those flavors together. I'll keep updating this thread as I go
I want one of those presses from Harbor Freight. Sooo close to buying.

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
I have a hydraulic press for gunsmith work, but I’m curious as to how you pressed tobacco in it? Custom press box?
Yes, you can make one out of wood. I have a 2 ton press I got on amazon for pressing ummmmm powders I guess. I actually dont know what it is that they use it for because I am not into that stuff, but it comes with a nice rectangle box and everything. Been working good so far. I have 6oz Boswell Northwoods being pressed into a brick in there right now

Reactions: dcon